Author Topic: bamboo backed red oak?  (Read 4762 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

bamboo backed red oak?
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:53:58 pm »
I am about to glue up a bamboo backed red oak bow. I havn't used this combo before and I have heard it can chrysal pretty bad. If I make the bow seventy inches and tiller carefully, do you guys think it could handel a 29 inch draw safely at around 50-55#? :-\

Offline toomanyknots

Re: bamboo backed red oak?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 05:19:52 pm »
I think it could if you use a very dense piece of red oak. I would just look for the most dense piece you can find and ignore grain to an extent as your gonna glue up a laminate. I wouldn't go too narrow as well on limb width.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 05:47:41 pm »
get the bamboo as thin as posible.  if you pre cut out the profile of the bow on the bamboo and then thin it all the way to edges you should never have overpowering issues with hard woods as a belly.  this also gives you a very even taper in your bamboo.  about 1/16 over all taper or more from fade area to tip.  Leaves more room for more oak and less set as well.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:59:23 pm by Bow Nut »

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:10:30 pm »
It's definitely possible. Check out this fantastic boo backed red oak made by Dauntless.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23267.msg313496.html#msg313496

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:51:41 pm »
I imagine you can, I've made two boo backed red oak board bows, both were only 45# at 28" though. It shots great and I have seen a bit of chrysaling, but it hasn't caused the bow to explode yet and I've been shooting it for about a year now :) That's a great looking bow Dauntless made.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:58:57 pm by Michael C. »
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Traxx

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 04:02:32 am »
Trap the Boo

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 01:32:43 pm »
And leave the belly flat as a pancake to equal the compression out the best it can. Round the edges only slightly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.