Author Topic: rain day  (Read 1453 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
rain day
« on: June 23, 2011, 08:36:59 am »
knocked out a couple yesterday. received some cool rock at the primitive gathering. picked up some rhyolite ( the nasty and the green) , a big chunk of coral , some spalls of israeli rock (buddy of mine is from there and brought it back with him), one highly fractured piece of horse creek , and some pennsylvania jasper. the penn jasper and horse creek are below i finished them yesterday. the penn piece is some nasty stuff that the fella who gave it to me gave up on and wanted to see what i could do with it. it was loaded with stacks and i used the horizontal punch to blow through them. as you can see it is loaded with quartz . he said it was heated and i told him who ever gave it to him was lying through their teeth. definitely a challenging piece. the horse creekreminds me very much of mid grade normanskill. kinda like knapping a crayola crayon. =) first pic shows the quartz in the penn jasper. the horse creek didnt have much color in so i saved what i could. where there was color it was highly fractured. feels good to knap some pieces. peace

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: rain day
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:30:52 am »
Nice Jamie. That Penn jasper looks like some tough stuff.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:03:58 am »
Them look good Jamie! Good to see ya around again..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:07:49 am »
Nice work. That jasper point looks like it could punch through steel.The flaking on the horse creek really looks nice.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:47:20 am »
Nice chippin....that Jasper point looks tough as nails, and authentic too

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 11:09:47 am »
LIKE THEM ALOT
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 02:03:23 pm »
I like how you left the yellow on the tip of the point on the one on the left
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 04:42:01 pm »
thanks, that penn stone was definitely a tough booger. but fortunately not as tough as the piece of rhyolite i banged out today . post pics later
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 03:42:43 pm »
Nice...some great color too!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill