Author Topic: Black Locust Staves  (Read 3494 times)

Offline DLH

Black Locust Staves
« on: June 17, 2011, 01:01:56 am »
Split some locust yesterday debarked it and sealed it this afternoon. Not great staves but came off my papaws land and he passed about a little over a year ago and hopefully can make a bow out of one of them. Have one more log its a lot straighter and thought i would get my feet wet with the lower quality ones... What can black locust do?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:38:48 am by DLH »

blackhawk

Re: Black Locust Staves
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:28:21 am »
If your gonna leave that sapwood wood on then make sure its sealed real good,as in a few coats of sealant. Otherwise it'll check bad. And with some heat correction which i see youll need to do,black locust should make you a bow. And remember to let it season properly before you go tearing into it.

Offline DLH

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:27:59 pm »
I think ill add afew coats over the next few days and im layin it pretty thick too so hope that helps. I'm just gonna seal it and forget it for awhile than when it drys out a little more ill toss it in my attic to get some more moisture out.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 11:34:48 pm »
BL does not force dry well. YOu may see drying cracks of you put it in a hot attic. Those are some pretty challenging staves of BL but that's the way I learned too. It'll each ya. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DLH

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 12:58:25 am »
I have it outside in our building now I learned force drying locust on a couple saplings I had last year. I split and sealed a lot straighter log today did those yesterday because I have never split any before. Just gonna let these sit and air dry thought they might could go in the attic after air drying some but guess I'm wrong thanks for steering me clear of that. What can you tell me about Locust Jawge always wanting to learn something new? I have heard it is compression strong but frets easily without great tillering doesn't make sense to me? You know much about Honey Locust? What would you recommend for locust as far as design, length, width etc? Thanks in advance

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:20:10 am »
I never used HL. DLH, locust gives off moisture really easily. You are on the right track. Let it air dry as much as possible w/o heat. If one is not careful in drying it many drying cracks will result. Did you seal the ends? I've made BL sapling bows with sapwood backs and in fact, my first bow successful bow was from a sapling of BL. It functions best with a heartwood back but of there is not enough of it leave a sapwood back. Do get as close as you can to the heartwood though. You may catch it close to becoming heartwood.  I learned bow making on the stuff. I have access here in my yard and used a lot of it many years ago when I started. Generally, leave it wider and longer than most other woods. What is your draw length? Those saplings seem to have a pretty hefty crown so be sure to leave them a couple inches longer. I haven't had many BL staves chrysal. I've had better luck with it than ash. BL was  a favorite wood among the Native Americans in NH... that and hickory. I think its chrysalling reputation is unearned. I suspect that Northern black locust is better than its southern counterpart though. Locust is a pretty neat tree. Like peas and beans it takes nitrogen from the air and brings it into the soil. It is a legume. I like it but haven't made a BL bow in awhile.  Getting older so I don't cut as much. But I cut some last fall and making a bow from it may become the subject of a magazine article for PA. We'll see. BTW the Native Americans preferred the longer narrower designs n hickory and I bet BL too. Have fun. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mstrick96

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 11:43:46 am »
I'm trying to get an idea of the scales on these photos. 

I'm assuming that the foam brush in the lower part of the photo is about 3/4 inch wide???  So are the staves about 2 to 3 inches diameter?  How long are they?

Offline DLH

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 07:31:33 pm »
I would say 3-6 in wide and 66-74 long just a rough guess though.