Author Topic: Need help with bowyers knot  (Read 6640 times)

Offline markinengland

Re: Need help with bowyers knot
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 05:29:50 pm »
In my opinion/experience it makes a difference which way round the knot is made, in the same way it matter which way you twist when making a flemish string. Make the knot so the string goes back upon itself against the twist in the same . I find it helps to overtwist the very end section so you can see which way it wants to go.
Also I find it helps a lot to wind the loose end round the loop all the way round and then position it so it lies under the knot.
It is this binding to itself against the tension of the twist, the friction caused that holds it together in exactly the same way that flemish twist works.
I find that done this way it tightens up and locks on and with a bit of beeswax literally welds itself together to become one element that never slips but is failry easy to undo.
If it goes wrong gently undo the knot noting which way you formed the loop and wound the loose end within the loop and do it the other way. This should then work!

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 06:18:06 pm »
When I was first learning the trade I didn't have any luck with flemish strings and knots, so I went to the endless-loop style string and have never looked back. I have enough spare strings of various lengths making it easy to find one the perfect length for tillering.
I suppose one of these days I should learn how to make this other style of string...

Offline mstrick96

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 06:59:46 pm »
I started with the continuous loop because it looked easier.  Made a nice, adjustable jig and made up a couple of strings pretty easily.

Then I decided that I needed an adjustable tillering string and couldn't figure out a good way to do it with the continuous loop style, so I sat down and figured out the Flemish twist style.  Made a braided reverse twist loop on one and and then just reverse twisted about 12 inches of the other end for the bowyer's knot.  Dead simple once I figured it out.

I even made one of the Flemish jigs with all the nails in it and have discarded it.  All you need is a roll of B-50 (or whatever) and a knife!

Now, I've dropped the continuous loop altogether.  I LOVE this style of bowstring!!  It's worth figuring out the Flemish twist and the bowyer's knot.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 02:32:25 am »
MarkinEngland has an interesting point.   It does seem to me that my knots started slipping about the same time I started 'laying' the tail into the loop instead of going against the twist.     Though an extra turn around the bight , before winding the tail into the loop ended the slipping.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers