Author Topic: Flight/Cast Arrows (Results Are In)  (Read 4093 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Flight/Cast Arrows (Results Are In)
« on: June 17, 2011, 05:56:18 pm »
 I found a place in the pasture to flight test some of the bows I've built. Couldn't figure out how to keep from looking half the day or loosing them. I talked with halfeye, and he suggested painting the white. So I set out Cut 3 cane shafts to my draw length and spraypainted them with appliance epoxy paint. After drying, I fletched them. Since the cane shaft weights were off from each other (20-30 grains) I cut and grounded duplex nail points to match each other. Then epoxied them in. They weigh 422 422 and 423. Going to be shot from the 42# bow I just finished and posted. Hope to get to try them tomorrow.

Shot them this morning.. shot 3 rounds of 3. Took the distances and averaged them out.
The average was 126 yrds the longest was 130 and the shortes 124. Don't know if that's good or not but it was coooollllll doing it ;D

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:55:35 am by hillbilly61 »
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Flight/Cast Arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 06:02:28 pm »
good idear sounds like a good time too. please post your results.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 06:06:16 pm »
Sounds like fun...and something I should probably get into doing since I don't have a chrono.  Good luck.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 09:16:58 pm »
hillbilly61 ,

Here in Australia the colour that stands out best is a horrible pink shade used by surveyors for their marker tape. However I just cannot bring myself to either fletch  with pink feathers or paint the shafts that colour. Isn't it funny how ones upbringing gets in the way especially with pink when it was not that long ago the colour was regarded as being masculine and pale blues were feminine. :)

Craig.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:47:58 pm by CraigMBeckett »

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 09:21:27 pm »
hillbilly61 ,

Here in Australia the colour that stands out best is a horrible pink shade used by surveyors for their marker tape. However I just cannot bring myself to either fletch  with pink feathers or paint the shafts that colour. Isn't it funny how ones upbringing gets in the way especially with pink when it was not that long ago the coulou was regarded as being masculine and pale blues were feminine. :)

Craig.

>:D ;D >:D
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:31:35 am »
 I thought about it. I also have the same type paint in pink ;D Maybe on the next ones >:D

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 03:23:36 am »
I thought about it. I also have the same type paint in pink ;D Maybe on the next ones >:D

You must have a thicker skin than I.

Craig.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:06:40 am »

Craig.

Well. I figure it this way. Whoever makes a comment, has to walk away at one point. I shure hope it's a quartering away shot :o >:D >:D >:D ;D

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 10:19:53 am »

Craig.

Well. I figure it this way. Whoever makes a comment, has to walk away at one point. I shure hope it's a quartering away shot :o >:D >:D >:D ;D

Evil very evil!  ;D >:D ;D

Offline half eye

Re: Flight/Cast Arrows (Results Are In)
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 12:51:36 pm »
for hunting type arrows ( 10 grns/pound) and full-sized fletch that's pretty darned good.....and all out of a really short bow. Aint it cool to watch 'em fly.....downright addictive
rich

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 01:36:43 pm »
I like to fletch my hunting/3D arrows with white fletching. It helps to see where your shot placement is when you hit something, alive or foam. Craig, my wife spray painted all the tools she keeps in the house pink, so I wouldn't drag them off to work, or the shop. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 01:39:30 pm »

over memorial day weekend camped with some pals and worked on bows. did lots of shooting. this was the first time i really had "room" to send em flying. what fun! they flew well into the next pasture. maybe 1000' maybe more-of course we did have some wind at our backs. these are two of my bow making buds.

if you would like to check out more pix from the weekend feel free....
http://s878.photobucket.com/albums/ab346/sadiejane9/memorial%20day%202011/
wild women don't get the blues