Author Topic: Need Help...Working With Saplings  (Read 1309 times)

Offline johnston

Need Help...Working With Saplings
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:16:23 am »
I started out cutting small trees 4" down to around 2 1/2" because they were easier to drag to the shop. I always cut a few sticks also to practice on and have found that the smaller the piece the more difficult it is to find a ring to work with. Also, decrowning is a shot in the dark for me. I have started cutting bigger stuff but have some straight and sweet small pieces that I don't want to waste through ignorance. Any advice would be great. Wood includes hickory, pecan, oak, dogwood, hackberry and a couple unknowns.
Thank you.

Lane

Offline JonW

Re: Need Help...Working With Saplings
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:11:15 am »
Lane all you really need to do is remove the bark and cambium and start making a bow. All the woods you listed are fine for that. 2 1/2" generally doesn't need de-crowning.

Jon W.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:28:12 am »
I second Jons comment. The cambium will peel off with the bark and thats your back. I use alot of whitewood up here, not many osage trees around. Hackberry is VERY nice to work with. The back of the bow has some cool contours once you peel the bark off.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:38:23 am »
  He's right I've made bows of all these. Exspecially hickory,uselly in the 3 to 4" range is what I perfer. But have made hem from smaller.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 11:17:37 am »
Good advice. You also don't need to decrown. Leave the bow  couple of inches longer. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 07:15:52 pm »
Thanks guys. I am starting one tonight and will most likely need more help.

Lane