Author Topic: More bamboo arrows  (Read 4186 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
More bamboo arrows
« on: June 11, 2011, 03:56:45 am »
The set of arrows I made for the Chamberlin Ranch shoot are getting used up already so I got another 1/2 dozen made up as replacements.  It's not that I'm hard on arrows.....it's the rocks and steel turkeys and etc.
The first pic shows the remnants of the old set and six new ones along side

and the nocks

and the points
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: More bamboo arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:59:00 am »
OK,  It looks like I tried to load too many pics at once.   More pics!

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:49:32 am »
nice set of boo, I know about those stone targets too, and some times the ground just opens up and eats em.
john 3:16

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 03:28:06 pm »
                                Cool Quiver....I really like it....oh...and the Arrows are nice too... where you get that Quiver........ ;D     
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bolsjedyr

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 04:15:34 pm »
Very nice boo  :)
I like the way you coloured the (sinew?) bindings on those next to the quiver.
BTW - Are those points made of some sort of nails?
If two men are to compete, it should be in archery. As they face the same direction, trying to accomplish the same goal, it is the most civilized of sports." Confucius

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 04:20:32 pm »
I really like that set, nice work.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 08:18:09 pm »
Killer work and the quiver is awesome.  Is that a scene from the B. Tapestry?  Nice arrow "digger" too  ;D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 10:03:03 pm »
Thanks to all for the kind words.

ElDestructo-  The quiver was made by a friend of mine.  He charged me, but at a fraction of what the work is worth.  He even re-dyed it, for free, when the colors started fading.   It's nice to have friends!

Bolsjedy-    The bindings are silk thread.  I'm pleased with the look, but it's a lot of work to place that many bindings.    The heads are made from 12p duplex ( staging) nails.  I got the idea from others here.  The heads are cheap and simple to make.  The nails I buy make ~ 150 gr heads, that can then be shortened to provide lesser weights.   And, the tang works very well with bamboo.

Lee-  The art work is copied from an illustration in 14th century manuscript,  'The Book of the Hunt by Pheobus Gaston', Count of Foix.   This particular illustration is from the chapter entitled , "Treating the Hounds".  Since I am a vet and own sight hounds it has particular meaning for me.

Ron

Offline Scowler

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:55:38 am »
Beautiful arrows and quiver.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 06:49:44 pm »

SHI.....I mean....uh....Golly Gee Willikers !  :o Or wholly Crap!  :o  :o :o Those are nice!  And that quiver is par excellance !!!!
I thought that picture was a copy of a wood cut.  I don't know If I have seen that particular picture, but I know I have seen similar ones with hounds like that, and that time period.   ;) Also on tapestries.   But Man, that is a nice set up.  Now all you need is a Parker cupid style bow to go with that.   ;)  Very nice arrows, and very nice quiver.  Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 02:52:12 am »
Wayne,  Were you volunteering to get me one of those bows? ;)       Though to tell the truth, I like at least of couple of the 21 bows I already have    As for the rest, well I guess part of the reason for posting stuff is to brag.      Ron

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 07:23:21 am »
That is one nice looking arrow and quiver set.As we used to say in the marines, OUSTANDING.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 08:02:42 am »
Now that is some beautiful work.All of it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 05:05:03 am »

Well when I hit the Power Ball and or the Lotto, I will get you and myself a Parker Cupid Style Bow, just to take to the range of course...... ;)  Oh, this ol thang, aaww it's Just a Parker Cupid style bow...... 8) Yep it flings arrows at a respectable three thousand feet per second,  :o but I just like to use it fer targets and sech, after all it's only a 150 pounder, and I don't want to get deer blood and guts all over it, after I gut, and tote a big ol buck back to the truck.  I have other bows for that kind a thang.  Yeah, I would love to have one of those Cupid style bows ! ;)  Hey  if your bows are anything like your Arrows, then you definitely have bragging rights.  Again those absolutely beautiful.  I sure would not be shooting steel targets with those! :o  That is what rifles are for! ;)

Wayne