Author Topic: knife making question  (Read 5370 times)

Offline venisonburger

Re: knife making question
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 11:10:09 pm »
Lonewolf has the recipe for hardening, I never annealed the edger blades when I made them, I cut out with dremel tool and worked to finished state then hardened.
VB

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 01:17:28 am »
   Any type of cutting tools you buy are made of A2 tool steel. I do all of my hardening and tempering in the kitchen oven. Mosty out of 1095 steel old saw mill blades but have use a few others. All of these you can temper in a oven. Different temps and times for different steels. Most have to be put in twice. If your steel is A2 a kitchen oven can't reach high enough temps and stay there to harden and temper correctly. Over the winter I just made my first 2 blades from A2 that was given to me. I had to send them to TEXAS KNIFE WORKS. It was only $8.50 a knife. Do all you cutting and fitting before you temper because after if it's tempered right you can't or won't want to after you fill a while. I make a knife or 2 every winter and found this out early in my knife makeing.
  Let me had that if you have a forge you can harden and temper by heating and watching the colors of the steel.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 10:48:24 am »
looking at the edger blades, they are so close to being a knife I see why alot here have made knives from them, I would say that if you were carefull and don't get your metal to hot when cutting it in to shape and alot of handtools you could get by and not worry about annealling and heat treating. thats how I started before I had a forge,of course didn't have edger blades but had a lot of swing blades so a little hacksaw work a little fileing and a lot of hand sanding.
john 3:16