Author Topic: Muskrat pelt question  (Read 3662 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Muskrat pelt question
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:13:41 am »
A friend gave me 5 muskrat pelts that have been fleshed, dried and stretched for about 10-12 years now. I want to cut strips and use them on my strings. Is there anything I can do to get them going short of tanning them? They are rock solid now and have ZERO odor's.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Muskrat pelt question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:32:52 pm »
If they are just rawhide it only takes a little moisture to get the degrading process to begin. I think they need some kind of treatment to prevent that odorific process. ;)   Possibly soaking in borax and water but I don't know for sure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:52:55 pm »
could always rehydrate with salt, water and disinfectant solution, then when it's as wet as it wouldbe if it was fresh from skinning, rinse it out a few times (or maybe leave in a river for a half hour, if you have one nearby), then hang to dry and as it's approaching dampness/dryness stage, brush on some brains (if you can get them) or eggs, mixed in some water.  Let it soak in, then repeat a couple times.

'swhat I was gonna do but my dog had other ideas... ::)  hehehe

best of luck man.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 01:39:28 pm »
Get ya some eggs in a bowl with just a dash of water and spead on them hides,let em soak in the fridge in plastic 2-gallon ziplock bag until they are not hard,hard any more and go get one out and start rubbing and squeezing and kinda wringing on it,it gets a little dry,more egg and more working,when it is soft and dry,its done.When all five are soft, Give them a little cold smoking and it will not react so much to moisture. Result is excellent leather,beautiful fur on muskrats.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 04:11:55 pm »
Sounds easy enough. I think I have enough to last the rest of my life. Im thinking there is at least 25-30 strips per rat.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 06:44:46 pm »
You can order a fairly cheap product that's called instant preserve from Van Dykes Taxidermy. It fights bacteria from eating up the hide. I have used it in deer mounts and fish mounts. they also have cheap tanning kits for just a few hides and it is easy.

If you are wanting to use the muskrat hides and they are stretched and dried, then cut them in strips and work them (soften) a little to loosen the hide, then split your string and insert one end of the strip. Wrap it to the other end and again split the string pinching the end tight. If you use a 1/4 " strip then it will dry quickly should it get wet, but I would think you will try to avoid getting your gear wet to begin with, but it does happen, I know.

Also as for a cleaned hide, which means no meat or tissue left on it then I would not think it would stink at all, except for just the natural rat smell and that's not offensive to me.

Good Luck, Lyman
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 01:24:41 am »
My first string silencers were taken straight from the rabbit to the bowstring not 5 ft from where the rabbit met it's demise by accidently running into my arrow.

Those silencers lasted on the bow for 7 years until a dog got to 'em.  I imagine the 'skrat hide should do fine if you keep the strips dry, no need to tan or soften.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.