Author Topic: Hickory Warbow  (Read 8319 times)

Offline RyanY

Hickory Warbow
« on: May 08, 2011, 02:17:16 pm »
First bow of the summer and I can't even draw it! I wanted to try and make a relatively short but heavy hickory warbow so here it is. 72"ntn 131#@32", weighs 30oz, 1 5/8" by 1" at the handle, 5/8" by 5/8" at the tips. Has 1" unbraced set and settles back to zero set. It was heat treated into 2" of reflex. I wanted to try and dye this one green but the stain that I purchased was more like a paint so I sanded it off and let it fill the grain. The tips are cow leg bone and are shaped the same way. I would have liked to get the tips more narrow but for whatever reason, even though I measure out 1/2" on the wood, it never gets there. Anyways I'm still extremely pleased with how the bow came out but now I just need to get my strength back to be able to draw the beast. Sorry about the poor pictures. The full draw pic is a still from a video on the tillering tree since I can't yet draw it. Thanks for looking.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: Hickory Warbow
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 02:39:44 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D, whenever i see a new warbow on here it makes me smile, i love this bow,
thanks for making my day
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 04:10:06 pm »
Thats a nice full draw! very nice bow. Thats alota weight for only 72", very nice.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 04:45:41 pm »
NIce bow Ryoon! I love hickory warbows :) #131 is quite impressive!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 06:49:49 pm »
Thanks guys.

Noel, I also love seeing new warbows on here. There's something about these things that really gets me going. I can't wait to see yours finished.  ;D

Toomanyknots, thank you. A lot of the time we say a bow should be so long for such a draw weight and I like to push that to see how much the wood can take. Even after heat treating, the bow still takes some set after unstringing but goes back to zero. I think I had some good hickory too.

Dag, 131# is a bit too much for me right now but I'll get there soon enough.  :)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 01:18:27 pm »
Most impressive Ryoon. like the two-tone on the tips. excellent job in getting that hickory to not take to much set.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Online PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 07:20:18 pm »
Great job as always Ryan. You sure manage to get the most out of a stave that's for sure...
Did I read the measurements right...? 1" by 1 5/8" at the handle? Is the 1 5/8" width or thickness?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 07:43:18 pm »
Thank you!  ;D

Eric, I find that hickory is fine as long as designed well. This one was pushing the limits so some set was expected.

Paul, 1 5/8" is the width.  :)

Online PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 10:45:45 pm »
Thanks for straightening me out Ryan... ???
 ;)

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:39:13 am »
It looks just as good in here than on PP :)

-Once again, I'm impressed of the short length you dare making a 130#'er from. I'd love to know how far you shoot a standard with this one.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:45:38 am »
Nice bow Ryan but your outer limbs are working a bit too much, that's why they took all that set.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 11:47:50 am »
I don't venture in here to much, but man that makes a statement!  I might have to try one with my time off this summer.  I've got some peculiar woods I'm thinking may make a war bow.
1’—>1’

Offline RyanY

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 11:58:45 pm »
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it.  :)

nidrinr, I haven't had time to shoot her yet but she feels pretty good. Unfortunately I don't have any standard arrows but I do have one that is 1750 grains and 30.5" to the back of the head. It'll be fun to shoot.

Marc, I usually like an elliptical tiller but I should have moved the work a bit more to the handle seeing as how short this one is. I can tell by the look and feel that it could have taken it fine. Also I didn't add much reflex to the outer limbs when heat treating. Not on purpose but my form just supports the handle and the limbs bent as they may when I added the reflex. I think that may have added to it. Thanks for the advice.

Parnell, I haven't made a lot of warbows but I'm sure a lot of woods can take fairly heavy weights if designed well. Best of luck.  :)

Offline DEllis

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 03:42:44 am »
I like that a lot..........never in this life could I SHOOT it, not with all the anabolic steroids in the world coursing thru my veins, but I like it ;D Impressive weight from such a small chunk o' hickory.
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 08:36:01 pm »
Ryoon. Nice bow, you nailed the tiller. If you find you can't draw it you might cut it in half and send it to Albert Pujols c/o St. Louis Cardinals :)
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.