Author Topic: Couple of books for trade  (Read 2559 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Couple of books for trade
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:25:21 pm »
I have Wayne Goddard's "$50 Knife Shop" and "Basketry of the Appalachian Mountains" by Sue H. Stephenson I'd like to trade.  Looking for knife handle material (some nice wood, antler, or bone), but if you're really wanting one of these just let me know what you've got.

Bow wood scraps are plenty if you've got some laying around.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Couple of books for trade
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:27:15 pm »
Is that Native American basketry?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 12:30:04 pm »
The book is more about the baskets made by the people that settled in the mountains.  It was highly recommended by Pat when I decided I wanted a basket quiver, but I never got around to it.  I also have a book that's all about Cherokee baskets, and the woment that made them, but I can't remember the name of it.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 09:18:31 pm »
I'm interested in the knife book. I've got lots of wood for knife handles. Any certain sizes/types you're looing for?
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:06:45 pm »
Nah, nothing particular.  I've only made full tangs so far, but I'd like to try some hidden tangs soon.  Mostly just need some pieces big enough for scales, though.  Whatever type of wood you have is cool.  I'm a sucker for some figurative grain, but who isn't.
Cleveland, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 12:46:20 am »
Jonathan, I'm interested in the basket books, both,  if you want to trade. I'll load you up on all kinds of handle stuff. Got bone, antler, cactus, all kinds of wood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:42:26 am »
Sounds good to me, Eddie.  You guys shoot me your addresses and I'll send the books your way.
Cleveland, NC

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 09:13:42 am »
Nah, nothing particular.  I've only made full tangs so far, but I'd like to try some hidden tangs soon.  Mostly just need some pieces big enough for scales, though.  Whatever type of wood you have is cool.  I'm a sucker for some figurative grain, but who isn't.

No problem with the figured stuff. I've got cherry burl, figured spalted maple, boxelder burl and quartersawn sycamore just as a start. Not to mention a ton of really nice walnut. Send me your address and I'll pack a box full for you.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)