Author Topic: Bamboo stakes...  (Read 3281 times)

Offline PaulN/KS

Bamboo stakes...
« on: May 08, 2011, 01:47:05 pm »
I was at the garden store and found some of those 4' bamboo garden stakes that I have heard some folks have used for arrows. Picked out some straight(ish) ones and now could use some info on the best ways of making them into arrows....?
 ???

Look forward to any and all info. Thanks in advance...

Offline sadiejane

wild women don't get the blues

Offline aero86

Re: Bamboo stakes...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 03:00:55 pm »
next time you go, if you can, get longer ones.  youll have a better chance of finding a good arrow and getting a decent spine match.

when i make mine, i use a heat gun with two settings and use the low heat setting.  the bamboo will appear to get waxy, then it will be easy to bend.  start between the nodes first, i find most bends are actually right before the nodes.  turn the bamboo between your fingers horizontally in front of your eyes to help you see the wobble. then when you have the between the node sections straight, then straighten the nodes.  these will require a bit more heat, just be careful not to burn them.  i suggest practicing finding the right temperature on a scrap piece first to see how it will work.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:28:25 am »
wanted to mention that I used to use the heat gun too....but now I sit on the couch and use a candle....very relaxing.
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 02:36:09 am »
I think Osageoutlaw had an excellent example of bamboo arrows from Lowes/Walmart/Homedepot bamboo stakes..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 03:08:54 pm »
I love the bamboo stake arrows.  I used the same arrow the entire time at the Classic.  I missed my fare share of targets too.  I even hit a tree dead center.  I wiggled the arrow around, yanked on it, and it popped right out.  The nail didn't even pull out of the end.  I kept thinking, these things are just like carbons.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left