Author Topic: is this arrowwood(viburnum)?  (Read 3251 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
is this arrowwood(viburnum)?
« on: May 11, 2011, 12:48:18 am »
Just wanted some confirmation on this stand of what i think is arrowwood. Viburnum.
I missed seeing it this winter,found it this spring)
 cut some dry sticks and the stuff is very hard...looks and feels like an oak dowel scraped and sanded down.
I have a nice supply of it growing on our west facing bluff and i wanted to ask y'all
if it'd be better to harvest some now? or is it best to wait for winter to cut living stuff.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: is this arrowwood(viburnum)?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 01:02:37 am »
Looks like arrow wood viburnum to me.   I prefer to cut arrow shoots from late fall to early spring before the growing season begins. You can cut it any time. Leave the bark on while drying or it will check and be sure to cut mature canes. The mature ones will have small branches and not just leaves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline richardzane

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:24:10 am »
thanks Pat,

I'll wait for fall.  have plenty to work on till then anyway.

planted some river cane shoots along our spring branch as it enters a field
before dropping into the creek. hoping the cane will go crazy there.
we'll see if it likes that cooler ground this summer.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:40:21 am »
carefull with the cane, if your not careful, youll get hooked on it! lol.  its my favorite stuff to use!  plus its free for me! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline anglobow

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:43:50 am »
Looks more like american hazelnut to me. Still makes a good arrow though.

Offline SA

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 12:22:06 pm »
patb ,does arrowwood have a dark center slightly hollow? i cut some few months ago like that ,made a couple arrows with it  good stuff if thats what it is.
Shawn Acker

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:18:31 am »
Anglobow, that could be Hazlenut. One way to tell the difference is the arrow wood has opposite leaves and the hazlenut has alternate leaves. Both will make good arrows.
  sa, I've never made an arrow from arrowwood. Around my house we have blackhaw viburnum(V. prunifolium). I've made good arrows from the blackhaw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline richardzane

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 12:59:57 pm »
I think you guys are right! 
it IS Hazelnut bush, has the staggered leaf and is a solid shoot,no pithy core.
as a result of this discussion-I've now identified arrowwood(viburnum) growing right where i hang
my dipper at the spring.....it has opposing leaves, and the white bunch flowers.
So far i haven't found any viburnum here, that comes anywhere close to the quality of spicebush, hazel and rosebush.
but then, its gettin to be tick season and crawling through the underbrush isn't as much fun right now.

thanks for the comments...always more to learn