Author Topic: hickory questions  (Read 4088 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
Re: hickory questions
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 02:57:21 am »
i agree with pat  b i hunt from a treestand and my hunting bow is a 72" tip 2 tip maple bow. so becarefull on that one i tried a shorty once but just my arms are a little too long for tehm so i keep them long and safe my hickory molly shoots good it is 70+" but real close to 60# was trying for 65# so i missed it but hey it will still do the job i think and it is hichory i saw a thread showing a lot of short bows by just about everyone on here and they all had a slightly less of a draw length so emember your anchor point and adjust for the shorter draw length and keep flinging

john
doc

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
Re: hickory questions - (limb patching?)
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 01:20:12 pm »
kweh kweh omateru, (greetings friends) I greet you in my Wyandot language.
I'm new here and have got the bug.
Finished up my first hickory bow 40# (64 inch) from staves cut from bitternut(or pignut)hickory in December.
it was a great experience and having 120 acres here in NE Oklahoma,now i'm eying all the hackberry,Mulberry,Coffee Trees,Black Locust,
dogwood, and red,blackjack,white,and post oaks and I'll be listening in to you pros.
I found a great stand of arrowwood (this spring)I'll get to them this winter
and harvested some spice bush shoots this winter and seem to be a good possible arrowshaft...after sanding and scraping
they slick up nice pulled through a shaftsized hole drilled in bois d'arc.

Someone suggested heat treating the hickory stave and i think i'll try that next time.
it does follow the string when unstrung.
got a WORRY though with my new bow, though it tillered purt-near "perfect"
during target practice, right at a pinhole knot in mid-limb a tiny crack appeared(can feel the difference in the pull weight)
Is there ANYTHING to do to save it from opening further besides sinew backing?...any glue to pack in the crack while its arced maybe?,to save it?
trying to send pics but i'm no tech wizard.

when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: hickory questions
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 11:21:43 pm »
Welcome to PA
start a post of your own with close up pics you will get the advice you need
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !