Author Topic: about ash  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Blacktail

about ash
« on: May 05, 2011, 05:20:06 pm »
for those who have worked ash...which this is the first for me...the question is about the bark...there is a thin layer of dark inner bark that i want to leave on for a camo effect....i have seen this done on hickory...so,is it ok to do the same...i dont think it will hinder pound age...its really thin...thanks john

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: about ash
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 06:24:43 pm »
As long as you peel the magority of the bark off before tillering you should be fine. Weak peices of bark will usually break off during tillering. I made a couple ash bows and I took all the bark off.  It seems like it would be difficult to leave behind that thin, dark layer.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:55:21 pm »
Not sure about ash but John Strunk does it with all of his Ocean Spray bows ??? I agree that it will crack off in some spots durring tillering but if your going for a camo affect that wont matter. Let us know how it works as I have allot of ash and I would like to try that as well

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:15:03 pm »
Are you talking about that light brown color from where you peeled the bark off and it dried brown? You can leave it. I just sand it till it's white, or sometimes "white-ish" if it looks cool.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair