Author Topic: Using staves like they were quartersawn...  (Read 1890 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Using staves like they were quartersawn...
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:01:17 pm »
Well I have this mulberry stave (thats how I start every post) that is twisted to make the string alignment screwed up with the handle around 3" off center. It came from a pretty nice sized tree, like 10" or more diameter at least. But I was looking at it, and it would be perfectly in alignment if I just turned it over to the side and used it like it was a quartersawn/riftsawn board,... I used quartersawn/riftsawn on ALL of my board bows and I would be able to control run outs so much easier, opposed to having to look for one without any threw a stack of 1000 just to find one thats not "as" bad as the rest, :). I was wondering, has anyone used a stave like this once in a while? I see no reason why not to.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Using staves like they were quartersawn...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:37:56 pm »
too, my first 20 bows were built outta staves turned so that i could get 1/4 sawn wood. i think it will work ;D

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:38:51 pm »
Thats pretty much how we cut all my bow sticks....they are sawn not split but thats exactly how it's done. Dont know anything about Mulbverry but all the wood I use makes real good bows....JMO

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 03:49:16 pm »
ALRIGHTY! I was hoping it would be ok, that definitely makes me feel better about not having to steam the reflex outta that stave now, :)! Thanx guys. I know it kinda seems pointless to ask this question, as it's pretty much a "duh" kinda question, but I still like to know you guys opinion/experience.

"my first 20 bows were built outta staves turned so that i could get 1/4 sawn wood."

20 bows, man ken, that must of took you like, what, an hour?  ;D

"Thats pretty much how we cut all my bow sticks....they are sawn not split but thats exactly how it's done. Dont know anything about Mulbverry but all the wood I use makes real good bows....JMO"

Rich, I still got some mulberry for ya if ya ever wanna try some, it's like osage but not hell to work. I know you don't prefer staves but I was thinking to look around and see if I could get some milled into boards, as I got some bigger pieces for that purpose I just need to find a place around here that does that. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:56:16 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 04:16:56 pm »
I think the only danger you'll face is from knots.  Most of the mulberry I used to use was full of pin knots that, when turned sideways, might be trouble.  If you have a clear stave I don't see why it wouldn't work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 10:14:07 pm »
Got an ash one right now that I turned sideways for a quartersawn bow...gots some whoop-dee-doos now though.