Author Topic: i might be daft....  (Read 2431 times)

Offline triggerfinger

i might be daft....
« on: June 27, 2011, 02:40:12 am »
Ive been readin up on stuff andfrom what i understand self bows are very unforgiving in the area of arrow spine.  But when reading about cane arrows people say that you dont need to spine test them....so needless to say im cofused.  If you dont need to spine test em what keeps a week one from blowing up on a heavy bow?  Or a heavy arrow from fishtailing.
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: i might be daft....
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:37:25 am »
They're just more spine tolerant. The same arrow might shoot just as well out of a 45 lb bow as a 60 lb bow.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:35:27 am »
trigger remember that a cane arrow will be tapered from front to back some will fishtail other wont. and they could be spined the same but for now i think i will keep making them:) not to mention they are easy to come by for me at least
doc

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:50:48 am »
They're just more spine tolerant. The same arrow might shoot just as well out of a 45 lb bow as a 60 lb bow.

how about ver light splined arrows, like 30 lb. would they not blow up under a 70lb bow.  I dont wanna be digging splinters out of my hand.  Do these same rules apply to arrow boo

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:43:00 pm »
I've never seen a cane or boo arrow blow up. But, I've never shot an obviosly low poundage arrow out of a strong bow. I do shoot my arrows out of bows ranging from 55# to 70#. I've only cracked 3 bamboo arrows, one hit a tree and got a small split, another hit the metal fox, at the Tenn. Classic, on purpose. I wanted to see how strong it was, it got four splits near the point. That was from ten feet with a 60# bow. And the third broke when the hog leaned back and bit it off, got it on video. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:44:02 am »
   The type of materal your bows made from dos'nt matter. The closer the bow is to center shot the more forgivie the spine is. Shoot,boo,river cain materal is more spine forgiveing. Meaning theres a wider range in bow weight these arrows can be shot from. The closer the bow is to center shot this the range in spine is wider still. Meaning a 50, 55 # bow might shoot a arrow spined from say a 40  to 65 # arrow given the materal. Or did I read this question wrong.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 02:19:13 am »
And the third broke when the hog leaned back and bit it off, got it on video. ;D

you gotta post that vid!  or send me a link