Author Topic: nother cowboy rock  (Read 2158 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
nother cowboy rock
« on: April 22, 2011, 06:54:53 am »
hammerstone adena. some edge work with antler. still pretty thick with a 5/1 ratio. roughly 3/8" at its thickest point, 2" wide. i just cant get em much thinner using the hammerstones lately. thats one reason i like to use the hammerstones when doing cumberland and clovis pieces. gives me good material to knock a flute off of. this is some pretty tough chert paul. at one point i had a stack about a half inch high on this piece. right on the edge too. finally set up a heavy platform on the opposite edge and gave it a "make it or break it " hit. didnt break it  ;D

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Ncsnipe

Re: nother cowboy rock
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 10:25:28 am »
Very nice!

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:12:49 am »
Looks thin to me.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 11:41:41 am »
Thin is nice, but a blade with some meat to it also looks good. I have found a lot of blades like that. I don't think thinner is better for that application.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline jamie

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 12:16:09 pm »
thanks. i agree tower. this is more than adequate . i just like to see how far i can push a stone.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:21:40 pm »
Nice !  I just happen to have a Wild rose spear shaft the would fit that perfect. (Be a pork poker for sure:) Thanks for sharing the pic's  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:26:03 pm »
A nice thin blade looks Soooooo good, but if you think about it for a minute, it`s much more fragile than a blade with some thickness to it.  I watched Ed Moser knapping last weekend & was amazed at how thin (1/4" or less) he could make a wide (like 4 1/2- 5") piece of Burlington. Fantastic work... I dream of being that skilled at thinning, but in the meantime, I try to get `em as thin as possible, knowing that I`ll be lucky to get a blade that`s 3" wide down to 3/8" thin...& only made that mark a couple times.  I`d be extremely happy with myself & the blade if I could get mine to look like yours there.  Great work Jamie.
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline jamie

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 10:00:16 am »
thanks again

waterbury, ct

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 01:55:21 pm »
Great job Jamie.  that is awsome.

I have some of Cowboys rock also,  All I can seem to do with it is make huge stacks, then trying to remove them I break it.  It is tough stone. 

Tell

Tell Riley

Offline jamie

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 04:43:17 pm »
tell it definetly likes to stack . ive had to knock a couple really big boogers off this stuff and keep waiting to snap it.

heres another piece i used a moose billet to do. not much change in flake pattern just thinner. a bit over a quarter inch. that dark spot is the only piece of chert in this concrete  ;D

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 12:20:40 pm »
Man Jamie, i must not be surfing enough this week. Keep missing all these knapping post's.. Them's some good looking blades for sure but I wonder what some heat would do for em? I'm pretty sure Jesse was going to cook some. Maybe we'll get some good reports from him.. That's funny about the little spot of chert in the concrete, haha.. There was a quarry site waaay back off the road on that ridge. The stuff was snow white and worked like Georgetown but too far for me to want to tote it. Besides, I kept envisioning men in green uniforms peeking from behind trees and rocks ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 02:19:08 pm »
thanks paul. jesse made a wicked blade from this stuff but hasnt posted it on here yet. have to have em post it after the classic. i soaked this stuff in water for a week, accidently, didnt notice any difference. next piece i break into im gonna do a complete point. these last two were for a discussion on paleoplanet about using different abo tools and the effect they have on the same material.

waterbury, ct