Author Topic: tree of heaven  (Read 3244 times)

Offline bubby

tree of heaven
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:35:15 pm »
I just cut some tree of heaven, (chinese sumac) and acorrding to tim bakers guide it's got an sg of 52 and a borderline bow wood, suposed to have similar properties of most med density hardwoods. it's so damn straight I gotta try it, anybody use it before? Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: tree of heaven
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:42:33 pm »
I don't remember ever seeing it done.  I remember some folks talking about it before.  Around here we call it the Tree from Hell.   It's invasive and quite a problem.   Let us know how it works out, and good luck.
Traverse City, MI

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:10:25 am »
yeah it's invasive as hell, but if it will make a decent bow ::), Bub

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 04:31:23 am »
Good find! This is a great bow wood! I have made two bow from it, one I will never get rid of as it was my first really good shooter. To me it resembles ash, and works about the same. A little yellow in colour. Responds well to heat correction and treating, best of all people hate it so don't mind you cutting it back. Go for it and post pics when done. I made one flat bow and one molly type, both designs work well.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 03:51:25 pm »
nathan, did ya back it, I think it's suposed to be fairlly strong in tension, Bub

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 03:13:27 am »
nathan, did ya back it, I think it's suposed to be fairlly strong in tension, Bub

No backing, just a good rub with a large ballbearing! (burnishing)

Nathan

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:52:09 am »
I've alwash thought that it was a useless tree, we also have an invasion problem here, if you say that is good maybe I'll give it a chance. On the other hand I've heard that it's quite poissonous so better use a dustmask.

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 11:05:00 pm »
Good find! This is a great bow wood! I have made two bow from it, one I will never get rid of as it was my first really good shooter. To me it resembles ash, and works about the same. A little yellow in colour. Responds well to heat correction and treating, best of all people hate it so don't mind you cutting it back. Go for it and post pics when done. I made one flat bow and one molly type, both designs work well.
This is good news, so its not totally useless.  I'll have to give it a try sometime.  Any chance we could get some pictures of the bows you made from it. 
Thanks
Traverse City, MI

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 04:03:55 am »
This is good news, so its not totally useless.  I'll have to give it a try sometime.  Any chance we could get some pictures of the bows you made from it. 
Thanks

This is the best photo I could find on my laptop.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 07:10:41 am »
nathan, did ya chase a ring or treat it like white wood, that look's like some killer bend on that molly, Bub

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 07:42:20 am »
nathan, did ya chase a ring or treat it like white wood, that look's like some killer bend on that molly, Bub

Treat like white wood. What I like about this wood is that it has good thick even growth rings, regardless of where it grows.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 09:51:14 am »
   It's a light brittle wood. Had a friend that make a bow from it. He left vthe limbs 2 1/4 wide 68". It was shootable but got alot of string follow. I'd think I tread it like a white wood and but it in a hot bow before I started flexing the limbs.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 04:42:55 pm »
your right nathan, it's got nice rings, got the ends sealed up, I'll rip it in half in a few days and get it drying, wood drys pretty fast out here, Bub

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 11:10:58 pm »
Nathan, thanks for posting a pic.  I've got to give it a try, tons of that stuff out here.  I'm thinking a fun hatchet bow project.
Traverse City, MI