Author Topic: Hickory?  (Read 5568 times)

Offline okie64

Re: Hickory?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 01:31:14 am »
Their so straight and nice hickory you could have just saw-en them instead of splitting oh well you got some good exercise anyway !! Nice haul !!Wish my last batch had been like them !1
If we could just figure out a way to know how straight-grained they are before splitting. I dont really care for exercise too much! ;D

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 05:22:19 pm »
Looking at the trees standing then the three cut poles, I am thinking two are smooth bark hickory and the third more coarse bark one is not a hickory at all. Not sure what it is, but I don't believe its hickory.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 12:00:24 pm »
  I LOVE HICKORY MY FAVORITE WOOD and here in WV where I live theres LOTS. Matter offact around here if it's a hard woods it has hickory. The one on the left with the deeper bark is mock nut and the 2 smaller is smooth bark. The smooth bark as more pin knoths but not a problem as long as there not right on the edge if you watch as you cut and split your staves you can get cleaner staves also. As the mock nut gets bigger the pins become less notessable.
  I like to cut 3 or 4 inch saplings and draw knife it down to bow form and add some reflex. But I do the same with staves.The higher crown of the sapleing won't matter the hickory. I hang mine between to saw horses and hang a cinder block for weight. This puts a couple inchs of reflex in the stave. Around here we have wood borers so I spray with (lowes) pestaside. Sence I never get in a hurry exspecially with bows I leave for a year or so.
  When I GET TO TILLERING I start putting  mine in a hot box as I work on it. Keep the heat as low as you can you just don't want it to pick up any exture moisture. This really helps with string follow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 11:25:02 am »
The rougher barked one I believe might be a hackberry but that's great bow wood too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed