Author Topic: long term seasoning(yew)  (Read 5689 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: long term seasoning(yew)
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 11:22:27 am »
   I recken I'm on the slow side. When I first started I was really gun ho. And cut 100's of osage staves and still have some thats 18 to 20 years old. I was tault a little later to only cut staves as I need. When ever I'm out and about and I find some really nice staves I just store them away to when I need it. But when I do cut it It's uselly a year or so or more to when I GET TO IT. I just don't stock pile any more.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 12:16:36 pm »
Pat, how can you tell when your wood is "seasoned"? curious as to what the length of time does to the wood cells, seems like as the wood ages it is in the decomposing process. I had a guy tell me that the Klamath would bury thier bow wood in the lake mud for one year. doesnt seem to make a lot of sense to me, but whatever works. so I guess I need to understand more what age does. little slow I guess :D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 12:21:52 pm »
 Seasoned wood is best!  First soak for six months in salt water.Then I like a little black pepper,sage and lemon basil, Then a touch of garlic and serrono peppers. Simmered until the fibers are softened and the Let stand for two weeks.   ;D ;D >:D  Sorry John Couldn't resist.

Offline snag

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 06:38:43 pm »
I just found it interesting that these guys back in the '20s and '30s were finding that when building a bow from yew that was harvested in the summer (sap flowing) that the bow would often "fail". Don't know if that meant it broke upon shooting it or what. But the ones they built that were fall/winter wood they lasted a long time.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 06:43:51 pm »
Ancient man, Native Americans and the bowyers from the the 19th and 20th centuries did not know what they were doing. We have all the answers these days. Just ask us. Oh and I never smoked wood but I used to smoke corn silk when I was a kid. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 08:55:27 pm »
KEENAN,what a butt...i will see you some time. >:D :-* >:D

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 09:21:45 pm »
Seasoning is all about relieving internal stress in the wood. When a tree wants to straighten up from wind or from starting to fall over, it makes reaction wood. In yew that is compression wood, which is made at the compression side of the trunk. It can also be found on the underside of all the branches. The reaction wood expands and contracts according to the air moisture. If a stave contains both regular wood and reaction wood, it will bend itself during drying. - that's why it is importand to leave the tips wide untill the stave has dried.

The activity of the reaction wood seems to go down over time. Read the book "Bows and arrows" by James Duff, from the early 20th century. Wood beams from old houses were preferred for arrows for this reason. Really well seasoned wood was also preferred for cabinet making because of less internal stress in the material.

The same goes for bow wood. If the wood in the bow is fighting internal stresses, it won't be able to cope with as much bend as wood where all the cells are dealing with only the stresses from the bending. Also, the wood is more predictable in that it won't bend itself during making it, or even after it is finished.

I have one yew bow which will pull itself into near a foot of reflex when the relative humidity is low, while it is close to straight when air humidity is up in the 50-60%.

Seasoning wood is easy for someone who is making a lot of bows, while it may be hard to wait if one is only going to make a few bows. It is easy to see why many willingly disregard the importance of seasoning. After all, one can make good bows in just weeks. The advantage of well seasoned wood is perhaps not that great, but it is there, and I don't think we should disregard traditional knowledge as easily as some have here...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 07:44:15 am »
Never smoked wood or corn silk but I have smoked Grape vines. ;) ;D ;D Well said kviljo.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good