Author Topic: backing osage bow with sinew  (Read 1567 times)

Offline luke the drifter

backing osage bow with sinew
« on: April 24, 2011, 12:33:05 am »
i thought i remember someone saying that wiping the back down with acetone will get rid of any moisture(?) and unwanted oils and that this would aid in hide glue adhesion properties when working with sinew.  perhaps, it was something else.  does this sound right?   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: backing osage bow with sinew
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 01:17:16 am »
Acetone or alcohol will cut the oils from the wood. I have used both when sinseing osage. Others think that a good sanding and wipe off the dust and it is ready for sinew. I guess both methods work. You still have to consider the oil from your hands as you work with sinew backing a bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billy bowmaker

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 01:20:06 am »
i have used acetone to good effect

but on other times i just plain forgot to degrease the osage, and the sinew stuck just fine

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 01:32:59 pm »
I sand the back with fine sandpaper to reveal "fresh" wood.  Then I  pre-apply a thin coat of hide glue to the bow back; also known as "sizing" the bow.  I've never degreased any bows though Jim Hamm speaks of it in the Traditional Bowyers Bible.  I suppose the overall idea is to reveal fresh clean wood.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 01:37:22 pm »
I'm pretty sure our ancestors didn't have acetone or alcohol to 'degrease' osage.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:48:34 pm »
I think our ancestors might have used lye?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 10:02:25 pm »
Wood ash and water.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC