Author Topic: US source for good hickory backings?  (Read 5346 times)

Offline markinengland

US source for good hickory backings?
« on: June 05, 2007, 11:06:41 am »
Can anyone reccomend a source of good hickory bow backings in the US?
A friend and I are looking to buy and ship over a failry large quantity. The guy we used before has moved shop and sold his lam making equipment  :(
Quality is important, but so is a good price.
Mark in England

Offline DanaM

Re: US source for good hickory backings?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:25:40 am »
Mark here's one source, I have never ordered from him but I bet someone on this forum has. Worth looking at anyway.
Murray Gaskins
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 09:41:43 am by justin snyder »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 11:57:23 am »
Mark, let me know when you're getting ready to order  8)

//Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 12:47:09 pm »
I have a good source i can give you, he will cut them into 1/8 X 2" strips but they need a lot of sanding afterward, otherwise quaility is good, price is $7.00 each, You cn ship 7 cu ft, to eurape by boat for about 250.00 usa. $.  Buying select lumber and cutting yourself would be much cheaper. I will contact him and see how his stock is. I got excellent maple and hickory backings from him, price seemed a littel high for the quantity I purchased aanf not being sanded but it was the best I could do. Steve

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 04:34:08 pm »
Steve,
Thanks, sounds good. We'd be after backings around 80 inches long so they will be up to warbow type bows.
We may be able to arrange a cheaper rate of shipping via a US company. Also wonder about them being shipped in a round package.
Please supply some more details when you can.
Regards,
Mark

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 04:53:40 pm »
Mark, let me know who you go with. I will be looking for some lams in Hickory myself soon.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 04:57:54 pm »
Mark, do you have a way of cutting the lams yourself? I cut mine at 3/16" and after sanding smooth they are about 1/8" thick or a little less, just about right for backing.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 05:54:06 pm »
i make my own but have bought and reccomend murray like dana said. peace