Author Topic: Elm Pyramid (back to basics;-)  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Holten101

Elm Pyramid (back to basics;-)
« on: April 06, 2011, 05:51:58 am »
Hi group...it been awhile;-).

I have wasted a few months making (trying to make) laminated bows...and I can now say with a certain degree of confidence that Im going back to basics for good. Selfbows is were my heart lies no doubt:-).

I wanted to make something with an authentic look and feel. Its wych elm, heat treated and 55-60# at 28" (havent measured it yet). Its 65" ntn and have very little set (1" i belive). I have a good feel about this bow and it seems fast too....I think ill ditch my usual 3D, fiberglass junk and bring this for next sundays 3D event:-).

The stave was snakey with allways gives me tilliering trouble. Oh yeah...2 months from tree to bow;-)

Profile and brace. Heat treating was done with less control than I usually do....next ill be trying coals and not a heat gun:

Details. I have wraped both limbs with plant fiber (for looks):

Nock....felt like trying something new. Its antler, and fitting them was a nightmare:

And draw:

Thanks for watching:-)

Cheers

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:02:26 am by Holten101 »

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Elm Pyramid (back to basics;-)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 09:28:58 am »
   I like the tip.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:21:40 am »
Yep, self bows is definatly where it is at and I would be proud to shoot this one at the shoot and ditch the fiberglass junk. I know what you mean about tillering these kind. Nice job and thanks for shareing.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 11:29:47 am »
Good looking bow, I'm curious about the heat treating on the back though, was that deliberate or did the heat gun create a problem  with control? 
Hope it works out well for you. :)
1’—>1’

Offline Holten101

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:03:20 pm »
Hi Parnell
I went for a primitive look (I know....what is that?;-)) so I purposly didnt take too much care when heat threating....i figured, if it can be done over coals then no harm in some superficial scorching. I have, by mistake, scorched several bow backs and they have never broken as a result of just that. But...I have no doubt that scorching the back does not enhance performance;-).

But...were I to craft the "perfect bow" then I would take more care...you never know;-).

Cheers