Author Topic: question about snake skins  (Read 3652 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
question about snake skins
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:48:08 pm »
how to dry and perserve a snake skin. i just got bit/struck by a copperhead and plan on taking its hide for a trophy i know how to skin it just need to know how to dry and perseve it for placing it on a bow for my son. or arrow cresting. is it liek drying beaver hides?
doc

Offline NTD

Re: question about snake skins
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:38:33 pm »
How'd you find yourself getting bit?  Your were messing with it weren't ya ;) ;D

Just tack it flesh side out on a board, and let it sit for a bit in a cool dry place.  Most skins dry in a day for me, but it may take longer, copperheads are pretty thin so I doubt it.  You can lightly dust it with some borax but you don't really need it. 
Nate Danforth

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 11:04:57 pm »
I had one that the flies wouldn't leave alone so I lightly misted it with bug spray and that took care of it.  Here is a link to a thread about snake skins.  There is a good picture of a skin tacked down and drying.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,24345.15.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jturkey

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 12:51:13 am »
No ntd i was setting up a blind for turkey hunting and just happen to look down to see him curled up inthe oak leaves. even with snake boots on i took 30 minutes checking my leg for fang marks no penitration but the boots worked lol
doc

Offline jturkey

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:53:06 am »
al right got it streched and pinned out just like a beaver kind of lol. turned out to be 30" long and 4 inches wide at it thickest part.
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:03:43 pm »
That is definately a "trophy" copperhead. Most of the ones I find are 18" to 20" or slightly bigger.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jturkey

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 02:42:56 pm »
yeah pat other wise it would still be growing and being good lol
doc

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 03:41:27 pm »
Fair enough reason to make it a skin, it's amazing how well they can blend in, probably the best camoflaged viper in NA.  That is definitely a nice sized copperhead too.
Nate Danforth

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 07:52:51 pm »
yeah when one is laying down in some fall oak leaves you can be staring right at him and not see him... They do have some awesome camoflauge.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln