Author Topic: Viburnum dentatum in NC  (Read 2606 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Viburnum dentatum in NC
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:46:31 pm »
Anyone know of a source for Viburnum in the North Carolina area. I would like to cut my own and process them into shafts. Preferably near central NC, but can travel some.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Viburnum dentatum in NC
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:57:49 am »
It grows in the DuPont State Forest here in Transylvania/Henderson Co area. Where I live in Transylvania Co we have Black Haw Viburnum (V. prunifolia)but I haven't found arrowwood viburnum.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:48:54 am »
Pat, is the Black Haw any good for arrows? Have you or anyone tried it?

Otzi had Viburnum arrows, thought I would make me a set.

Thanks for the info.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 10:25:56 am »
I bought 2 arrowwood viburnum bushes year or so ago. Should be able to harvest shaft soon.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:07:05 pm »
I've made a few arrows with Black Haw. It checks very readily if the bark is stripped to soon after cutting. I made a totally abo arrow a few years ago with BlackHaw. Cut it and worked it with stone tools. Tied on fletching with sinew and hafted a stone point withpitch glue and sinew wrap. Sealed it with pitch varnish. The arrow shot very well. I sent it to Mike Houston(Hawk) as a Medicine arrow for his hunting quiver.
  Yes, viburnum makes very good arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 12:30:41 am »
Arrowwood Viburnum is growing in most patches of woods in central NC that I've been in. It's scattered in the mountains. It grows a lot around the edges of woods. I may be able to get you a few if I'm out around some in the near future. It makes good arrows, and it's easy to grow, also. Here in the mountains and foothills, there is witherod viburnum (V. cassinoides) growing in almost every swampy, boggy place in the woods. It also makes great arrows. Black Haw viburnum and maple leaf viburnum are common throughout the state, and make good arrows if you can find a piece straight enough.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline rockbob

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 09:23:07 pm »
will look for some around Forest City area and let you know.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 02:30:13 am »
Thanks HillBilly and RockBob, I have never seen it or identified it when I did. Some times you just got to see it or find it once then its easier. Sorta like ginseng and Dogbane. I would like to make a dozen arrows once I find some.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 12:45:17 am »
I bought 2 arrowwood viburnum bushes year or so ago. Should be able to harvest shaft soon.
Yep I ordered myself some today.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II