Author Topic: Devils walking stick???  (Read 2582 times)

Offline HickoryBill

Devils walking stick???
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:25:10 pm »
Anyone out there happen to know the specific gravity of devils walking stick? I cut some yesterday debarked it and split it. I did a bend test on a small piece and it performed pretty well. I was thinking of trying a bow from it.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline sharpend60

Re: Devils walking stick???
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:41:52 pm »
Ouch

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 04:04:40 pm »
I have never seen a piece big enough for a bow but I would like to know how it goes
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:05:09 pm »
The spines and limbs are just on the bark they don't go into the wood. The piece I cut is about 8-9 inch diameter and about 6 feet long. I split into 3 good staves. I sealed the back and the ends with urethane. Now they just need to dry.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 05:06:53 pm »
Bill, almost any wood will pass a bend test when it is green. I'd say give it time to dry then do a bend test. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:21:53 pm »
It's pretty low.  I dunno what exactly it is, but my "Trees of Arkansas" book lists it as "...light, brittle wood."  I have wondered the same thing as I have seen a couple of specemines that MIGHT make a bow.  I'd say try and make it as long and wide as you can and see what happens.  It's a cool lookin' little tree for sure.  See if you can find a way to leave a bunch of those spines on the back.   >:D >:D