Author Topic: Finally built a shooter!  (Read 18609 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Finally built a shooter!
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2007, 01:20:52 am »
Yessir Dick! will do - I'd love to get back with you and Vinson sometime. That's actually a Century plant in the garden, they look a lot like aloe, and agave, and yucca, and others - never have gotten an answer on where they get their name though. Yalper great big ole cholesterol filled brown eggs, he he. But I love em, got lots of Rhode Island reds but that's a sex link - they can be sexed when they hatch by their color  :-\.

Rhode island red crossed with a Dominique eh!  Don't have to feed them long to know what you have that way.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Dustybaer

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2007, 02:58:31 am »
congratulations from germany too.  like andrews, i like hickory too and let me tell you, you made a fine bow out of it.  but then again, having seen your points, it was only a matter of time before you would nail one  ;D  would you mind posting a close-up of the back?  that paint job looks interesting.

jamie

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2007, 07:03:50 am »
very nice hunter youve made. now wrap up some points shoot the chicken and smother it in prickly pear. mmmmmmm

DBernier

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2007, 08:51:55 am »
Jezzzzzzzzzzzzz! Cowboy, Everyone seems to want to skewer your chickens.  ;D

Dick Bernier

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2007, 10:21:53 pm »
Ahh! so it is an Agave - did not know that, I'd heard about it blooming after a hundred years but didn't know it died after, interesting. Yep, them ole pesky chickens - we've already culled all the roosters, so the only thing that may get skewered around here will prolly be the neighbors dogs that like to run em every once in awhile ;D.
  Thanks Marius: Here's a pic of the back. The diamonds start out at four inches long at handle are four inches apart and get progresivlly smaller toward the tips. Layed them out, masked them, three coats of permanent marker, sealed the whole thing with three coats of Tru Oil. And braced.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jpitts

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2007, 12:04:45 am »
WOW...Cowboy, those diamonds really look great up close. I've gotta try some of that Tru oil on my next one. Really did a jam-up job for yours. Tiller looks nice too.
Never had a problem telling the Roosters apart...Those Dominekker's can get mean...since they're smaller maybe it's like the small man syndrome.... ;D  they'll spur you in a heart beat. I remember cranking them like T-Models......will never forget the smell of cleaning them....geeesh
You've got me wanting to glue up my hickory billets.....just glued up a couple of ERC billets and still have to finish the black locust I'm working on.....fun fun fun.... :D
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Dustybaer

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2007, 02:50:21 am »
thanks for the pics cowboy.  the grain of the wood fooled me (is that cambium?).  i thought it was part of the design, because it plays with and around the diamonds so well.  beautiful bow.

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2007, 08:35:54 am »
That pic of the design pattern is great, Cowboy. I'm gonna add that as a "click - on"  on my TBD pages , since i specifically mentioned it.

http://residents.bowhunting.net/bsdunn/tbd12.htm
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline cowboy

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2007, 08:38:08 pm »
thanks for adding my Hic to your site Bernie! Your gettin lots of bow's in there  :).
  Marius: that does look like Cambium on the back, it's actually the depression's where the Cambium was - I scraped it all out. What your seeing is the stain in the depression's that I didn't wipe off, speaking of stain I'll never use it again - too much drying time.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2007, 10:21:07 pm »
Sorry Jimmy, thanks. My wife's right - I am losing my mind!! and while focusing on my reply forgot to acknowledge your compliment. That there Tru Oil is some amazing stuff and I would'nt have known about it without the help of all the guys here on this site - much less build a bow. I am tired though, have spent the last several hours hauling flint up the creek bank in buckets in 90 degree humidity - will be posted in the near future ;D

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2007, 08:51:54 am »
My pleasure to have it (and "them") there, Paul. Thanks. Gotta get busy and set up Page 13 before i run out of space!
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC