Author Topic: Just Another Bow  (Read 18506 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Just Another Bow
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 01:45:02 pm »
On the second full draw pic I was tired from holding it back while wife was fiddling with camera.
My left shoulder isn't too good and was starting to hurt, lousy form by that time.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 05:49:31 pm »
I really like it Dana.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 06:58:01 pm »
That'll work, David W  :)
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2007, 07:03:42 pm »
I just got done puttin about 100 arra's thru it the set didn't increase but the fretting doubled, this is my first
experience with fretting so a question for ya all. Can a bow fret up to a point then stop and remain a reliable bow or is it doomed?
I tried taking some pics but I can't get one to show the fretting.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2007, 08:44:06 pm »
dana the tiller looks very good. as for the frets looks to see if there is any blemish at all in the grain. considering its edge grained it may have hidden pins in it that will weaken the area easily . ive never had ash fret just explode without warning so not sure if itll hold up. if its shootin than shoot it. lol. and build another. peace

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2007, 12:15:32 am »
I have had problems with ash fretting. The way yours seem to be fretting all over tells me it the wood that is weak. My tillering may be to aggressive for it. I guess I treat all woods like osage. ;D  I do have an ash bow I'm working on now but it is 74" long. If I fret it, I'm giving up on ash.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mack

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2007, 12:57:07 am »
If it goes down, build ya another.  Fretts , dont know, tiller looks pretty good to me. Maybe longer and wider design would help.
Also do you use a string nock? I still use one squared to the handle rest or top of wrap.  I know not primitive , but hey this bowmaking is individual thing. In the last pic looks like you holding string a little high of square, that may alter the appearence of the tiller some.

mack
NW Alabama

mack

Offline DanaM

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2007, 06:51:31 am »
Yes I use nock points, but inthe pics there I just had a string with no serving or nock points on, I aleays shoot my
bows in this way, then make a string for it after.
As I said previously I was getting tired and probobly didn't grab hold the same.
After looking at the limbs carefully I think its just bad ash haha, the fretting is everywhere on the limbs, not localized in one area.
I'm just gonna shoot till it fails and get busy on another.

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2007, 10:33:27 pm »
Dana, any flaws in the tiller look very minor to me. I've only made a couple of ash bows and was disappointed with them both. Both took a lot of set and didn't shot well. They were early in my bow making days, but havn't made an ash bow since.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...