Author Topic: Penobscot bow?  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Frode

Penobscot bow?
« on: February 24, 2011, 03:16:31 pm »
Hi all,
Another forum I'm on has been discussing the Penobscot bow, and some questions of history and origin have come up.  Some think it is an old style, some think it was thought up fairly recently as a sideshow item.  So, I thought I'd go right to the most knowledgeable source I could, and ask if anyone could point me to any history, origins, rational behind the design. etc.
(Being a bow question, I thought I'd start here, but if this needs to go elsewhere, that's good too!)
Thanks,
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Penobscot bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 06:01:21 pm »
Well, this is a tough one.  Personally, I haven't seen any Penobscot "double" bows that are dated before 1900.  That doesn't mean the design is new but it sure looks that way.

There are bows in The American Museum of Natural History that are labeled "Penobscot" that are the double bow type, recurved, and simple D-bows.  This tells me that there is either confusion on the subject or that the tribe used many types of bows.  This doesn't help to answer the question, though.

The surviving Penobscot "double" bows were probably made after 1900 but the design might not be new.  I think the old design, if it existed, was more similar to a cable-backed bow than a double bow.  In other words, there would be more cable and less wood.  The smaller bow on the back would be there only to elevate the cable off the back of the bow.

There are some advantages to an elevated cable:

You don't have to put wraps on the bow in order to keep the cable in place.
The bow can be tillered with the cable in place.
The cable can be replaced more easily.
The cable can be made in two sections, which is easier to make if we are talking about using sinew.
The cable tension can be adjusted.

This last point has been proclaimed by some to be a unique feature of Penobscot bows.  It's not unique.  Some Eskimo bow styles had adjustable cables on the backs.

Modern bow makers tend to focus on the bow on the back and make it quite long in relation to the primary bow.  This is a modern design (after 1900).  In my opinion, the smaller the second bow, the more authentic the design, if it existed at all.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:11:22 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:31:45 pm »
Hmmm... Interesting!  I confess, I know very little about cable backed bows, other than what I've seen here, but that sounds very logical.  Thank you, Patrick! 
Frode

(Added to woefully long "to do" list; Cable Backed Bow)

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:17:25 am »
Frode -There have been a few post and articles about the penobscot in PA from Judson Baily volume 5 issue 1 has some good info on the how tos and whys.Just made and posted a bow"The Double bow" not a true penobscot but I can see some value in the design-Hammertime

Offline Frode

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:25:28 am »
Frode -There have been a few post and articles about the penobscot in PA from Judson Baily volume 5 issue 1 has some good info on the how tos and whys.Just made and posted a bow"The Double bow" not a true penobscot but I can see some value in the design-Hammertime
Sorry I lost track of this post (and a lot of other things these last few days  :-\).  Thanks for those references, hammertime, more reading to do now  ;D!
Frode

Offline wally

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:19:38 am »
I wrote an article for PA some years back and have continued studying its origin.
Read my article, but for brevity It seems convincing that the bow was made by Big Thunder (big Frank Lolla) a dealer in Indian 'artifacts' and showman (white man but lived with the Penobscots). There is no history of bow before 1901 when he sold it to a collector. Many copies were made most differing in design but the original, and most others made since (and I have made 2 and love them for their eccentricity) were not very efficient and do not add to speed or oomph!
I am in process ( job number 283!) of making a replica of big thunder's original design which is even more intriquing than the common copies.
and hey! Let's be careful out there