Author Topic: Question????  (Read 2309 times)

Offline wvbowhntr

Question????
« on: April 06, 2011, 08:03:41 pm »
hey guys haven't been on much in a while or made a bow for a while. its been a busy year.  i thought i would get back into the swing of things with a few board bows.  so i got a few red oak boards. and started one yesterday.  now for the question i cut the belly thickness close with a table saw, which Ive never done before, but it got hot and burned the belly wood.  heat treated belly not so bad BUT it pulled the wood into deflex ihave an inch of set and i haven't even started tillering yet.  is there any thing i can do to reflex or straighten the stave?  i was going to back with silk so i don't think i can glue it out.  would clamping into reflex and heating the belly do it?
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Question????
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:24:15 pm »
Are you saying the belly got hot while cutting it with the saw or you heat treated it and then it took the deflex? I dont see why you couldnt just clamp the bow with some reflex in it and heat the belly up and let it cool to get rid of the deflex? Even if you heat treated the belly once already I dont see why you couldnt heat some reflex in it as long as you dont get the belly black, you want a nice golden to dark brown, just make sure you give the wood a good amount of time to rehydrate before you start bending it.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:32:53 pm »
yes it got hot while cutting it.  thank you for your reply.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:45:59 pm »
If it just got hot while cutting im sure it didnt see any of the real benifits of heat treating or will you have to worry about over heating when adding reflex. The only thing I can think of is maybe there was tension in the wood and when you cut the belly down to size it reflected in your bow cant see that happening unless it was cut from a bigger board like maybe a 4x4 or something ??? thats just a guess and not a very educated one lol As you may know when you heat treat the wood shrinks it will shrink or compress and if its not at least clamped in some way usually with a small amount of reflex it will go into deflex but I cant see the saw getting the wood that hot but maybe if the blade was on backwards or something lol ;D I have never done that ;)
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:04:24 pm »
HAHAHAHAHA  LMAO   ELk  Been there done that , got all excited about building a bow and did not pay attention ::)
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:12:09 pm »
HAHAHAHAHA  LMAO   ELk  Been there done that , got all excited about building a bow and did not pay attention ::)

I built houses for 5 years and I have done it a couple times getting in a hurry but it was with a skill saw not that thats an excuse ;D