Author Topic: Gluing Sinew  (Read 16330 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Gluing Sinew
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 10:30:24 pm »
                 Iam with Trapper on this. I prefer hide glue myself but have used the commercial variety (liquid) and like he said it works. Tricks fer sure  ;)............bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 10:36:25 pm »
      I've used the liquid hide glue,It works great.And after Trapper let me in on a secret  I've had the same bottle for 3 years without losing shelf life.Thanks Joe
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 11:03:07 pm »
Uhm! Whats the "secret"?  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 11:05:23 pm »
  Ask Joe,It's his secret.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 02:31:36 am »
Hey Joe! Whats the secret?  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline donnieonetrack

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 05:37:46 pm »
I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but if you use TB aren't you getting away from the primitive aspect?
Donnie Wilkerson
Gainesville, Florida

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 07:07:10 pm »
Its a sliding gradient of primitivness!  ;D

Offline Kegan

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 08:47:46 pm »
I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but if you use TB aren't you getting away from the primitive aspect?

Well, alot of use dacron and other modern materials for bow strings and not sinew or rawhide or plant fibers. The rules aren't that rigid- as long as it doesn't have wheels or fiberglass pretty much ;D

a finnish native

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2007, 07:38:00 am »
you will probably think of me as a racial conservative son of a **** who should die, but a bow is not primitive to me, if powertools are used on it, if ti has a string from modern materials, if the glues used are modern.  ;D ;D ;D

but then again what primitives are we? we sit on a computer and use digital cameras for our primitive bows. just some kind of wannabe primitives  :-\
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 07:40:31 am by a finnish native »

Offline Kegan

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 06:41:33 pm »
you will probably think of me as a racial conservative son of a **** who should die, but a bow is not primitive to me, if powertools are used on it, if ti has a string from modern materials, if the glues used are modern.  ;D ;D ;D

but then again what primitives are we? we sit on a computer and use digital cameras for our primitive bows. just some kind of wannabe primitives  :-\

No problem. But that can go pretty far for the sake of primitive- using stone tools you crafted yourself out of materials you found at hand and did it all outside or in a primitive shelter such as a teepee :o.

There are many levels. Same as everything. Trad shooters don't like compounds but use fiberglass- it just depends on how far you go.

And my little sinew bow isn't supposed to be primitive- just a good little hunter ;D!

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 09:09:12 pm »
nice Thread, I'm getting my first attempt at sinew backd bow ready, I'll use TB III because of the reasons Pat mentioned, the stave has 2 1/2" of natural reflex, I'll temper a bix of extra curve on the outher limbs before glueing the sinew on, can't wait to see how it turns out :)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2007, 09:44:00 pm »
If you want to stay primative , and retain the benifits of the combo of hide glue and sinew,while becoming almost water proof. Replace the hide glue with fish bladder glue (it is much more water resistant) and cover the sinew with snake skins . Then seal the bow with your favorite finish .

I've had bows like this out in the rain with only animal fat finishes.I oil 'em up good before leaving the house and they do just fine.

Ralph

a finnish native

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2007, 01:40:11 pm »
I have heard about fish bladder glue. Is the making process basically the same than in hide glue? if not then how do you make it? and what fishes have the best bladders?

Trapper

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2007, 03:28:59 pm »
Hi guys , after reading all the responces I will tell the secret , the titebond Liquid Hide glue is hide glue no two ways about it , And to make your liquid hideglue reconstitute itself is by adding just a little vinegar to it , if it strings out between your finger and thumb then its still Ok but if it dosnt then its went past the shelf life that it has, but the vinegar thingy works to fix it , Ive never had problems with sinew raising on me or anything , the only thing you have to do is waterproof it after it has dried, Polyurathane spray works exellent.And the next important thing is be sure your sinew has been soaked in water , I like to soak mine for at least 24 hrs, you would be suprised at how much fat is on top of the water after this and you thought you had it clean.    Dont ever add bleach to your sinew water , it will make Ramen noodles out of it , and they will never be strait again.  Trapper

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2007, 04:41:59 pm »
What I know about fish swim bladder glue.
The Turks used sturgeon.
The Koreans used a puffer fish ,I think.

Isenglass is fish bladder glue ,you can buy it from beer and wine making supply companies ,they use it clarify the wine or beer.
You can also buy it from paint supply companies ,Art restoration people people use isenglass as a medium for oil paint.
And oriental food markets sell it under the name 'fish maw' make sure you get dried fish maw instead of the puffed fish maw.The puffed fish maw is deep fried fish bladder.It's used to make soup.

You make fish bladder glue from swim bladders ,it's the same process as hide glue.As far as I know any swim bladder will do.

Ralph
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 04:57:04 pm by welch2 »