Author Topic: Jackcrafty and Jamie  (Read 3412 times)

JustinNC

Jackcrafty and Jamie
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:17:07 pm »
Tried indirect percussion thanks to Jamie's encouragement and Jackcrafty's youtube videos....All I can say is it turned a lot of 'trash bucket' stuff into prospects. The thing I like about it is it turns steeply stepped sides into potential platforms to take it on down. Using a dogwood billet to bop with and a whitetail main beam (base) to do the punch work. Nice flakes. I can't imagine what kind of progress Id make if I had a wider variety of antler/wooden punches to use and some better flakes to work with. Both can be remedied with a little effort, but it's fun to experiment and practice on my debitage pile and not waste the good stuff.

Right now I'm using the method in Jackcrafty's video....but Jamie is the one that really got me thinking about trying it. There is hope after all for me! haha

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Jackcrafty and Jamie
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:16:33 am »
Awesome!  Definitely try as many different indirect percussion tools as you can.  Glad to see you're having fun with this! ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:54:14 am »
the  nice thing about indirect work is it creates a lot of force with precision.  just be careful its very easy to run flakes off the other edge and create rounded edges. have fun bubba.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

JustinNC

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:20:34 am »
Do either of you, or anybody, use indirect (whatever style you choose) as your primary method for thinning? Obviously you need to switch here and there to set up a platform or something, but I could see how this could be addictive, especially for those of us that lack precise hand/eye coordination haha

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:46:58 am »
i use indirect once i can no longer effectively use my moose billet or hammerstone.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:01:53 pm »
Indirect percussion is my only method for thinning and for fluting.  ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 03:48:57 pm »
Yes sir it can work well if u get it down.  Sometimes for me it helps taking those stacks off I isolate and abrade and pow it pops right off... Awesome!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:33:54 pm »
Do you have a link to these videos?
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline toms22

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 11:29:31 pm »
Jack when you have time I would like to see you make a video of you making a large point uesing you method. I went to walmart and bought me some ice picks and will make me some tools like you have. I have looked at your video several times. Great video. Thanks for answering my question Tom

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 11:34:47 pm »
After watching the video posted I will be watching the rest and subscribing to your channel very good stuff! I need to get ready for the glass buttes knap in Thanks crafty

Josh

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 01:36:06 am »
Tom, sounds good.  A larger point is next on my list of videos!

Thanks Josh!  I'll look for your subscription... ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas