Author Topic: New guy looking to make his first bow  (Read 3746 times)

Offline WoodySC12

New guy looking to make his first bow
« on: February 24, 2011, 02:21:20 am »
Hi all,
   I'm new to this board and primitive archery in general, and thought an introduction was in order.

I have been shooting traditional archery since I was eight, but I've recently realized that there is a lot more to archery than just buying a bow and some arrows and shooting at haystacks. That is to say, I think I'm ready to start primitive bow/arrow making and am hoping to get some advice and input as I learn. I have a strong background in historical reenactment (SCA) and leather-working. I am also an archaeologist and love the idea of making/doing things the way people would have done in the past. I'm hoping that at some point I can trade my skills in leathercraft (making armguards, quivers, etc.) for bow-making materials like staves and other things that I have less access to.

Introductions aside, I am hoping to get some advice on making my first bow. I have been reading the TBB books and many of these forums for the last few months and think I am ready to jump into it. My question, then, is what are some suggestions for a first bow as far as woods and styles go?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Woody
Santa Cruz, CA

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: New guy looking to make his first bow
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:27:34 am »
welcome to the site, good to see a new face on here, if i were you, i would go with osage orange, and try to get the straightest and most knot free stave you can as to not more confusion to your first bow, what weight were you looking for, and what draw length
good luck and enjoy this vast collection of knowledge
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:11:18 am »
Welcome! 

As far as a first timers choice of bow wood, it kind of depends.  Osage is a little harder to work, and can add some extra challenges like removing sapwood and chasing a ring, but, it is tough, and you can make some mistakes and still end up with a shootable bow.  White woods like hickory, HHB, and so on, are a little easier to work.  Remove the bark and cambium and there is your bows back.  But they aren't as forgiving as osage.  Make a simple mistake, and your bow might be ruined.  Hickory is pretty tough stuff too though.

You might want to get the book, "THE BENT STICK" by Paul Comstock.  It has a good bow design for beginners.  I think he calls it the overbuilt bow. 

Another great source of information is this site.  Live tech support 24 hours a day ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:16:15 am »
  Another great source of information is this site.  Live tech support 24 hours a day ;D

Look up jawges site. He has some good building info. Also alot start with a board bow, such as Red OakAnd remember just ask away with your questions Everyone here is will to help ya out
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:04:39 am »
Welcome Woody,you found a good place to start your journey,Lot of good wood out there,like has been mentioned about Osage,I would suggest Hickory,HHB for a first, No growth rings to chase and easy to lay out,it will give you some confidences in tillering and make a fine bow to boot. Ask questions here and check out Jawges web site,you should get all the info you will need.
Good luck and most of all enjoy.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 10:54:10 am »
Thanks, Pappy and hillbilly. Welcome, Woody. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:28:29 am »
Try to hook up with someone that isn't too far away and get some one on one time.  Where are you in SC?
Local hardwood stores may carry some decent hickory boards.  That's a good first option.  If finance allows maybe you want to have a go with a stave, or like you said, trade.  Also, you're not too far from the Tennessee Classic coming up in a couple of months. 
Good luck and welcome to PA!
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 01:38:27 pm »
Welcome Woodie. Lots of good suggestions already and plenty more to come. We even have a few archiologists as members so you guys can compare note as well.
  Where are you in SC? There might be a member or two is your general vacinity that you can hook up with for first hand help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:17:45 pm »
Welcome to PA !!
WE have not found anyone yet that can build just one bow so be carefull you are about to become addicted ! Enjoy the ride !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline WoodySC12

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 01:12:38 am »
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I think I'm going to try to get my hands on either a red oak or hickory board and follow an ELB style design. I'll be sure to post some pics of my progress and hopefully get some opinions as I go.

I should also clarify, the SC refers to Santa Cruz, CA not South Carolina. But if anyone here is from Santa Cruz I would love to meet up some time.

Thanks again guys for the feedback, very helpful!  :D -Woody
Santa Cruz, CA

Offline Chris grimbowyer

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 01:26:06 am »
My first (Successfull), and easiest bow I ever made was a white elm selfbow. It was about 66 inches long and a pyramid style with a flat belly. Since it was white wood I skipped chasing a ring and used what was just under the bark. It was incredibly easy to make. It came out at 50# at 26". I have my first made bowstring and everything on it aswell. Before I made this bow I tried severall red oak boardbows and they all failed for me. I know several people have made good bows from them so I guess its just me. I have broken 3 red oak board bows. The first to were because of my Novice skill and poor design. One actually blew up and hit me in the face..lol. I tried to make one recently after about 3 selfbows under my belt and it blew up too. Red oak and I just dont get along.. I Highly suggest white elm or hackberry for a selfbow first try.