Author Topic: Thinning?  (Read 1750 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Thinning?
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:58:11 am »
When reducing large pieces into smaller pieces you will make "large flakes" of different sizes, some suitable to making hunting size arrow heads. When examining the flake it will have a smooth or flat bottom and then layers will rise from the flat. Sorta like ground level raising to the mountain tops. Sorta like going from Florida to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Somewhere in the side profile a center line will emerge as you progress both physically and mentally.

Now the question, should all the thinning flakes be taken from the "mountain top" or a platform set up and taken from the flat or bottom side as you reduce the perimeter and thin. Once you have started removing material from the flat bottom side then it will begin to appear as if you have two mountains rising from the center line you have created.

Should most or all the thinning flakes come off of the top mountain side or off the flat bottom side as it's reduced and shaped, or am I just missing the method entirely?

That was harder to ask than I thought it would be... :-\, hope someone will answer it  :)

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline sailordad

Re: Thinning?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 12:03:52 pm »
i thinki understand what your askeing
i like to make the flat side convex so its looks more like the other side
but i also dont like to have to high of a center line so i will take flakes to reduce that
then i start with reducing it to the shape i want
then finish out hte point/blade  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline grozierguy

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:15:38 pm »
This might help answer the question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBW9s-kbfY8

It's on how to handle a "turtleback". 
Dave

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:53:45 pm »
Thanks for the reply's..I checked out Steve Holloway's reducing the turtle back and he did remove all his thinning flakes from the turtles back. I ended up watching about 6 of his videos....Its addicting. That Texas stuff works a lot different than Rhyolite....but it's all fun...Thanks again.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 06:57:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply's..I checked out Steve Holloway's reducing the turtle back and he did remove all his thinning flakes from the turtles back. I ended up watching about 6 of his videos....Its addicting. That Texas stuff works a lot different than Rhyolite....but it's all fun...Thanks again.

we need to get together and form a rhyolite addict, but cant work it, support group

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 07:55:37 pm »
 ::)
Mililani Hawaii

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 10:44:06 pm »
Don't feel bad, I took that 'one last flake' on a biface I was getting ready to store away til I could get that biface stage down and it snapped. Rhyolite or not, I pieced it back together and it was doomed. Waaay above center.