Author Topic: OK what type of tree is this??????  (Read 4839 times)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: OK what type of tree is this??????
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 11:00:01 am »
Yep I think I agree.  The 1st two are poplar.  They are very light for thier size.  And the wood looks fibrous.  Not hard at all.  Would it be to hard to try and make arrows from this?  I know the last is hornbeam. 
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 11:38:11 am »
Poplar makes very good arrows. I'd cut them to 6" or 8" over your arrow length split them in half and set aside to cure out. Leave the bark on and peobably seal the ends but that might not be necessary. Once dry you can split out or saw out blanks to plane into shafting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 12:29:54 pm »
The first is certainly a Poplar and the twisted standing one is Ironwood..I did some reading and the Ironwood is nick named Hop hornbeam but it is a different tree. Even the bark is different. I have examined a bunch of the Ironwood here in NC and it is so twisted I can not find a bow from any I have looked at. Keep looking I am sure there's a tree with a bow in it, somewhere.  Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 09:04:05 pm »
Yes the last one is not hop hornbeam.  I have researced and it is American hornbeam.  As for the poplar I am gonna give the arrows a try.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 12:06:27 am »
Looks like poplar to me, seems a little to straight for maple. At least it is in upstate S.C.

Steve

Offline medic336

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 02:08:20 pm »
poplar is a very light weight softer wood. It does look like poplar. Where there any tulips(not flowers)around the tree? Poplar has tulip like pieces that grow on the branches should be about 3-5 inches long. Not sure if they grow on every tree but some trtees out of a stand should have them. Some heart wood when sawed on a mill will be purple.

Offline cuthalion

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 03:35:25 pm »
certainly looks a lot like maple too me...id say trying making a bow out of one log and arrows out of the other and see how that works :P

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 03:20:49 pm »
 MY knowledge on trees is pretty in depth, 1st pic live tree, 2nd dead tree, 3rd live tree, and thats the rest of the story.