Author Topic: copper bopper form  (Read 2145 times)

Offline iowabow

copper bopper form
« on: February 22, 2011, 02:50:14 am »
Thought you might want to see the press form my neighbor made for me on a cnc machine. The female he has at work, Question, is the curve correct? The copper when pressed looks like brass. It is not brass it is copper like the others.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Newbow

Re: copper bopper form
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 03:18:41 am »
That will do the job beautifully.  There is no "right" form for the cap; whatever you like is right for you and you'll only learn that by using different ones.  I like the full dome as you show here, but others prefer something less pronounced and still others don't dome the caps at all, preferring the accuracy of strike provided (demanded!) by using only the edge, though if you like the weight forward it's difficult to get much lead in one that isn't domed.  Now all you need to do is convince your friend to make up dies in a couple more sizes.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:34:05 am »
Looks good.
 I sure need to get set up so i can make my own. I spend way to much on boppers. I go through erm fast.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:58:38 am »
I found a doming punch set at Harbor Freight . It has 1/8 up to 1 ". Works pretty good. It costs $25. It has saved me a lot of money in copper caps.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 01:57:53 pm »
How do you do larger ones where do you find the end caps or how is it done with a sheet of copper

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:09:48 am »
I answered my own question yesterday.  The stores like Lowe's and other lumber yards carry copper up to 1 1/8 but if you go to a plumbing only outlet then you can buy the larger stuff 1 1/2 and 2 in