Author Topic: Can't steam or heat out a bend  (Read 2595 times)

Offline tgr

Can't steam or heat out a bend
« on: February 18, 2011, 08:39:02 pm »
I have a 72" maple stave that I've roughed out.  Tips of both limbs bend sideways about 2" in the same direction.  I can't string the bow with out it turning.  I've tried to stream or heat with oil and clamp it yet it always bounces back.
My next thought was to pike it down to 60", 6 off each limb and trim the ends on one side to staighten it out.
ANy other suggestions before I do that?

Thanks ahead
Tom

Offline HickoryBill

Re: Can't steam or heat out a bend
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:23:08 pm »
What kind of maple is it?And how long are you steaming it? Heating it?
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline tgr

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:26:15 pm »
I don't know what type of maple.  I got if off a pile of just cut logs that someone cleared.  I've been steaming for 45 min and heating for 15 min on and off so I didn't scorch it. 
tr

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:29:38 pm »
Are you trying to bend it in the grip or at the tips? been helping a friend with a bow (vine Maple) pretty short 48" we had the same problem, we were trying to bend in the grip with dry heat. Every time we would get it good we would come back the next day and it was back to normal. The next day he tried again while I was not there and he ended up cracking the bow all the way through. I think in our situation we may have had better luck bending closer to the bow tips to correct it but cant say for sure.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline tgr

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 09:34:57 pm »
mostly the tips down about 18".  I figured even just the tips lined up I would be okay.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 09:40:17 pm »
Well wouldnt hurt to try to bent at the handle and see if that holds. Also once you steam and clamp it a bit past where you want it leave it there over night and see if that holds  .02   good luck
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline tgr

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 10:38:14 pm »
It seems that from the handle out about 18"or so it's straight, then it bends.  Can I ruin or weaken the wood If I continue?  One end is already a darker color from the heat.  I intend to tiller further so I'm not really concerned about color.
TR

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 12:27:48 am »
I have a maple board bow with the same problem. It twisted up the second I started cutting on it. I never tried steam or heat though...just made another one. It's three years old now, lots of set, crazy limb twist, but still shoots good...for now anyway. Good luck
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 01:27:40 am »
How big(thick and wide) is the stave you are trying to bend?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tgr

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:26:16 am »
Tips are about 1/2" tapered to 1"+ before the handle.  7/8" tapered to 1/2+ or - from the hanlde to the knock (thinkness)
TR