Author Topic: Question for Pat B.  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Tim B

Question for Pat B.
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:35:21 pm »
Hey Pat, did you say that when using Tite Bond III to lam up bows that the laminations could be heated and taken back apart? If so I want to try to take off the red oak backing and try to glue up a boo back on top of the Brazilian redwood and sandwich it with another belly lam and see if it will hold. The bow cracked diagonally in the deepest part of the cut in shelf down for about 1 1/2" and I think I might be able to save the bow. Any thoughts on this?

Tim

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question for Pat B.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:42:44 pm »
Yes, heat will make TB glues release(150deg[F]). Start at the tip and heat the backing. Get a screw driver or wood chisel under the backing and pry up as you heat along the length of the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tim B

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 04:53:14 pm »
Thanks Pat, I'm on a mission. Don't know if it will work of not but I've got nothing to loose at this point while I am waiting on a few more bows to finish curing from the glue up.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 05:00:57 pm »
A few years ago I had a hickory backing crack across the back. I contacted the TB folks and talked to one of their tech guys. He is who told me about using heat to get TB glue to turn loose.
  Good luck with your mission!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:54:05 pm »
Works GREAT. I just took off a hickory backing from a IPE belly.

Take my advice though, if you are using a concentrater tip on your heat gun and it falls off...don't try to catch it. :'(

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Tim B

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 01:13:13 pm »
Man Pat that back came off so fast it seemed like it wasn't finished setting up. I started heating one of the nocks and used my knife to separate the lams and it just came apart like butter. Is this normal for Tite Bond III? I've used it putting ipe and boo together and Brazilian redwood and boo as well and it held up great but this makes me think either the temps in my shop weren't constant or something was wrong with the glue.