Author Topic: Anyone in N Florida? ocala area?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

Anyone in N Florida? ocala area?
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:43:42 pm »
 ;D  i am looking for some guidance on how to make a self bow out of materials i have around the yard... i bought the bowyers bible and a couple others, but im just not getting it i guess.. i have broken about 2 dozen possibilities  and im getting discouraged.... im a hands on kind of person so id like to find someone that i can sit next to and point out what im doing wrong....

any emails or post will be very welcome too...
"In the time of gathering together, make no arbitrary choice of your associates. There are secret forces at work, leading together those who belong together." ~~~I Ching"

Offline Parnell

Re: Anyone in N Florida? ocala area?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 05:13:50 pm »
Hello and welcome to PA.  There are several of us on here in Florida.  I'm not close though, I'm in Naples.  I'm sure some others will chime in.  Broke 2 dozen?!  And still trying?!  You've got tremendous patience and you've come to the right place.  What materials have you been using, can you explain a bit about what designs you're trying, have you been using lumber or staves?  Are you seasoning the wood or just cutting and getting right to it?
We'll help you get it figured out.  That many broken attempts is rough.

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:45:29 pm »
 Yep, like Steve said, let us know what wood you are using. There is a lot of wood down here that is better for camp fires than bows. I sent you a PM.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:39:15 pm »
thank you for your responses first of all. I have been using a variety of woods.. majority green...  :o  but i also bought some poplar, red oak and a couple of pine...  >:D but i have been trying to basically make a stick bow. i leave the back rounded as i find it and flatten the belly...  ??? i still have yet to even try stave's cuz of the constant destruction of the possibilities.

i got close w one pine tree i cut down and waited a couple of weeks for it to dry but when i tried putting it on a tillering stick, one of the arms cracked... i was reading how pine needs to be 2" wide and atleast 66" long....

please help,

jeff    :P
"In the time of gathering together, make no arbitrary choice of your associates. There are secret forces at work, leading together those who belong together." ~~~I Ching"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 03:25:21 pm »
 I don't think I would waste my time with the pine we have down here. And Poplar is pretty soft. There are better woods to use that grow in Florida. Hickory grows everywhere down here.

If you try to make a bow with green wood it will take an early set and will will have to constantly retiller the bow as it dries.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline jbnizzle

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:58:28 pm »
ocala hungh,
                   I'm still South of you but North of everyone else who dimed in so far.I stay in casselberry and get my hands on a lot of
Cedar and Elm. Look in some moist areas for the Elm grows wet but it makes a real nice flat bow even from Florida woods.Keep your eyes open for
some Mullberry as well it's my Fave.There is a @#$% load of Hickory up there,and also in Feb. usually the end of the month there is the Traditional Boyers of Fla meet right up there in
Ocala bub.

J.B.
Army Drill Sergeant , you grew em now hold em up.

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 04:33:21 pm »
ok guys.. im just reporting in. since the last time we chatted i have been being very meticulous about the wood i am using.. i found some cedar, sycamore, and dogwood... and unless i went too deep w the draw knife, most have been holding... ill be posting pictures later on today to show you my "ugly stick". it was great advise. and it changed some of what i was doing. id still like to find a weekend that we can all meet up and hang for the weekend or so.

@jbnizzle: what event did you say was going on in ocala in Feb?

@mullet: nice pictures in the last PA. that bow you made was freekin sweet.!!!

thanks for all your help.. i feel like im gonna need more advice in the near future. i bought the bent stick by Paul Comstock and its giving me a ton of incite.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 04:39:43 pm »
The Dade City Knap In is coming up I think the weekend after this.  May want to check that out.  I think I'll be going to camp overnight.
1’—>1’

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:53:57 pm »
 ;D

thanks Parnell.. i appreciate all the help i can get...  im doing pretty good now on tillering the branches and sticks i have been working.. im just now trying to understand the whole backing thing. i bought some linen at the fabric store and some Knox gelatin and im wondering..

is one layer of linen enough?  ???

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 11:00:15 pm »
 Bring it to the house tomorrow, Jeff, we'll sort it all out. I'll have coffee if you get here that early. ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline jbnizzle

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 11:09:37 pm »
traditional bowhunters of florida has 2 meets a year one in August 29 or 30th and  March 29 or 30th.
check the web for T.B.O.F.

J.B
Army Drill Sergeant , you grew em now hold em up.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 02:02:45 pm »
 They also have the Charity Shoot in December or early January.
Lakeland, Florida