Author Topic: Eastern Plains Sioux ball headed war club started...  (Read 6289 times)

Offline medicinewheel

Eastern Plains Sioux ball headed war club started...
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:57:12 pm »
Found this picture on the WWW saying it was a Eastern Plains Sioux ball headed war club, seemingly made of cherry wood. Roughed it out from a nice piece of prune wood I had laying around; used the chain saw, wooden hammer and nice sharp chisels as well as a vise and still it was A LOT of work, and I ended up with only one side done.
Doing stuff like that I'm getting more and more impressed of the accomplishments of cultures of stoneage level.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:26:57 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Eatern Plains Sioux ball headed war club started...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:08:02 pm »
Very cool!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Cromm

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:45:25 pm »
I like the look of it so far, looking forward to see what you can do......
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:51:25 pm »
Looks good so far.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Pennhawk

Re: Eastern Plains Sioux ball headed war club started...
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 01:29:09 pm »
Verry nice,you do good work Frank.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 06:04:33 pm »
Thanks guys, hope I can finish this some time one soon!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:03:53 am »
Looking good,that's just cool.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

HatchA

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:55:55 am »
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.  Interesting project :)

Offline d frana

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 09:11:04 pm »
Looks real good.  How did they fasten the head to the handle?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 12:41:13 am »
Thanks guys!
It's not fastened, it's actually piece.
Frank from Germany...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:02 am »
"Plains" era Sioux were past the stoneage.  They were actively trading for metal well before they were pushed out of the woodlands to the east and out onto the western prairie.  In the prairie buffalo era it is nearly impossible to find Siouxan stone points because common availability iron and steel (and even brass for that matter).

James Hanson, curator at the Museum of the Fur Trade has done an extensive cataloging of axe heads collected on the upper plains.  He has noticed on EVERY axe head there are chisel marks on the sides.  Along with the records of chisels, hammers, and files being common trade goods this is a fair indication that the axe heads were used as portable anvils for reductive ironworking.  Larger pieces such as barrel hoops were reduced to smaller pieces not only for arrowheads but for decorations.  Numerous collections include iron hair pieces, conchos, cones, and other shiney bits. 

This in no way reduces the accomplishment of turning out such a well made war club just because they used steel instead of stone.  You have the advantage of modern steel, chainsaws, and other tools and still find yourself working up a serious sweat to create a copy!  Please keep posting photos of your progress, I want to see it finished!  I always enjoy your work, medicinewheel.  Could you post dimensions of the original as well?

If you can ever get over here to the States, save the cost of a hotel and stay with me.  The Black Hills is right in the center of everything!  Plus you can use my shop and my tools while you're here.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 05:49:44 am »
JW, thanks a lot for the info (I didn't know the Sioux originated in the woodlands) and even more thanks for the kind invitation! I really feel honored.
The Black Hills are Sioux holy land right?
I do not have original dimensions; I blew up the copy till it seemed to make sense. I'll post my dimensions soon as I'm done with the thing. Hopefully next weekend.
Frank from Germany...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 12:28:00 pm »
Very late in Sioux history they arrived in western South Dakota, having been pushed out of their homelands in Minnesota and Wisconsin by the Ojibway, who were waging a war of anihilation on them.  (for some reason many modern historians want to gloss over the fact that people in North American had discovered how to kill each other long before Columbus arrived)  The Ojibway had allied themselves early on with the French Canadian fur traders and acquired guns, something the Sioux didn't have much access to. 

They were poorly adapted to survival on the wide open plains where it is a full day's walk for a healthy adult from moving from one water source to another.  But they got lucky when the Mandan along the Missouri river gave them horses.  Finally the Sioux had mobility and an ability to hunt in an effective manner for the larger game animals abundant on the wide open Dakotas.....and for a short time the Sioux reigned as an apex culture. 

Some Sioux legends now claim that the Black Hills have always been theirs and have always been holy to them.  But that doesn't take into account how they found this land in the possession of the Crow, and how they waged a war of anihilation against them for possession.  I hope you don't take this as me judging them or what revisionist amateur historicans incorrectly call racism, this is just recorded history. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.