Author Topic: Juniper?  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Juniper?
« on: February 05, 2011, 07:39:35 pm »
I am looking around my property for local trees to harvest for making bows.  I ran into a couple small stand of what I have been taught are "Juniper."  I live in the southeastern edge of lower Michigan and after a quick "Wiki" search I ran across 2 types of Juniper that are in my local...I assume both would be acceptable sources for bow making but I'll gladly take any additional help in identification and thoughts on its application based on the identification.

Here are the two species with a couple pics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_red_cedar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_communis
(I believe it is this species)

Here are a handful of pics I snapped a short while ago...
https://picasaweb.google.com/BlackRiverRaptors/Juniper?feat=directlink

Many thanks,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lee Slikkers
Blackriverraptors@gmail.com
616-318-7366
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline sweeney3

Re: Juniper?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:43:19 pm »
I don't know much about common juniper, but ERC makes a really pretty bow, if you can get it there.  It's pretty explosive.  I've read that all junipers make good bows.  Wider and backed with something is usually good.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:43:48 pm »
lee both make good bows  erc is harder to work  im cuttin a lot of  juniper now myself  good luck brock

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:22:14 am »
Lee, the last three pics look more similar to what we have around here. the top side of large branches is your best tightest grain. The hearwood will be closer to the top of the limb. Use about 1/3 sap and 2/3 heart inf you can. 50/50 works well also or all spawood. Sinew or backed if all heartwood.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 04:04:31 am »
I'm curious about Juniper myself,.. how it is to work with, etc.....

Offline jbnizzle

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 07:03:59 am »
I agree with Keenan,
                              try to get a good branch for tightest grain it will work better than the trunk first growth.
Be careful and watch for your bark twist as ERC is notorius for it.I make mine out of 3" and larger It's one of
my fav's here in central FLA
Army Drill Sergeant , you grew em now hold em up.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 10:14:21 am »
Thanks for all the replies guys...I know a few of you have made some gorgeous looking bows from this wood.  I've been doing some "searches" on here using ERC as my search word and some of the pictures were astounding.  I appreciate taking the time to answer my post.

I am a total neophyte at bow building but I'll keep an eye on the bark twist.  I wouldn't have know what to look for but last week I attempted to harvest/split up a decent size Sassafras log and as I attempted to split it the stuff ran in long spirals like a barber shop pole so I unfortunately have had a hands on experience with that detail.

I'll take a closer look at a few of the trees and see if I can't find a larger limb to work as well.  I assume it's best to split into staves and removed the bark & seal immediately after cutting?

Many thanks,

Lee
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline DEllis

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 03:22:44 pm »
I have done a couple of mountain juniper. One is a kids bow all heartwood, and one was mostly sapwood about 45#@ 24" and as big as a shortened yew warbow :o. It takes a big piece of juniper to make any amount of draw weight. And I'll second the "explosive" comment. Had one blow into about 7 peices at 22 inches of draw.........maybe 40#. It was 60" long and bent through the handle.........shoulda held together. I'd back it if I was to try it again.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:35:36 pm »
I got out despite the weather and found a "Juniper" that will hopefully provide me with a few bows...worst case it will provide me with valuable hands on wood learning.

I find the cross sections of this tree to be really something as far as wood colors go.

Here are a couple pics...thanks!

Lee

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 11:01:01 pm by Lee Slikkers »
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 12:29:51 am »
 Lee, I think what you have there is Eastern Red Cedar. Allot more purple and richer red then any Juniper around here and resembles all the ERC that I've seen.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 10:59:04 am »
Thanks Keenan.  This stuff is pretty "knotty" down the center cut of the log...I may be better off considering some type of thin backing wood for, dunno.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 06:01:22 pm »
Here are a couple shots of the staves after I band-sawed the logs in 1/2.  There are plenty of knots to worry about and this may very well be the wrong wood to start building bows with but it's free and now it's cut.  Any thoughts or observations would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 06:23:52 pm »
Looks like Eastern Red Cedar to me.  Which by the way is a Juniper.
Makes a good bow as long as you don't over stress it.  Wide and fairly long.
I would put a good backing on a ERC bow. 
They tend to blow apart without backings.
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline bcbull

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 11:22:34 pm »
lee  it s defintly e r c  i make my bow out of it with very lil heart wood maybe 40 %  the rest the sap use that sap to ur advantage  back it with rawhide  goat is what i use  and make ur bows long wide those look nice  brock