Author Topic: Cherry/birch bark backing???'s  (Read 1425 times)

Offline HickoryBill

Cherry/birch bark backing???'s
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:02:27 pm »
I have a few ?'s about cherry/birch bark backing's. What is the best way to remove the bark from the the tree? When the bark is removed I'm assuming it needs to be dried before being applied to the bow? How strong is this type of backing? Or is it just used for decoration? I'm thinking of putting it on an ERC bow.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Cherry/birch bark backing???'s
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:25:29 pm »
  I just cut mine out in strips 2"s x 68" only because I never build bows over 64"s. But you can cut it any leanth. I cut mine in the late spring no sure if it matters. Peeled my of and dryed it between 2x4's clamped it down tight and just it for a few months. I'm sure yoiu do'nt have to weight that long. I just was'nt ready to use it unitll then.  Sanded the back down some one was thicker put it on with TB II AND II. I think the wind ward side has thicker bark I'm not sure maybe it was just the tree. I took it off 3 trees.
   I think it has a totall alsome look. I use it on 2 osage ring followed and 2 hickorys. On the one hickory it had a perrty high crown so I sand it fairy flat I held it together so it must have some strange quility to it. How much I'm not sure.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:30:53 pm »
How do you get it to peel off nicely? Score it on the tree with a knife?
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:09:29 pm »
  I took a old knife and a hammer and cut the out line out. took the knife and got one end lifted up and pulled and pryed it up with the knife. Came off fairly easy. I did this like 10 years ago.I go by the trees bow hunting once in a while. Did'nt hurt the trees only scares. I've backed 4 with cherry bark. I no longer back bows but if I did cherry bark would be my first choise. Simplely beautiful
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING