Author Topic: Power lam questionssss  (Read 2765 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Power lam questionssss
« on: March 21, 2012, 02:18:43 am »
I've only really seen power lams used on R/D bows.  Can they be used for other styles?  Can one use a power lam for a slightly bendy handle bow?

I have de-crowned an osage stave and plan to back it with a hickory strip.  The problem I foresee is the handle area is fairly thin.  With the hickory backing it's going to be about .70 inches.  I could glue on a riser and make it a stiff handle bow, but then I'm concerned about the step-down for riser to limb through the fade area.  That area will only be about .60 inches at best in the step down section. My thinking is the power lam might help with a potentional hinging problem coming out of the fades if I build a stiff handle bow.  But, my first choise would be to have the handle bend just to the feel with this bow.

The stave will be 58" ntn.  My draw length is 26 1/2 inches.  I would fine with a 40# bow, 45 to 50# would be just great.  So, I need to get as much of the limbs working as possible. 
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

mikekeswick

Re: Power lam questionssss
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 05:37:18 am »
Powerlams are normally used when you don't want any bend in the handle and are also a way to stop glued on handles from 'popping off'. They are normally put between the backing and core or core and belly depending on personal preference. I've messed around with them on true elb's a bit  and have still kept a little bend in the handle. It's all down to experimenting and finding what thicknesses work (you probably didn't want to hear that!). What you suggest is possible.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:32:53 am »
I agree with Mike. Powerlams are an excellent method to keep the handle from flexing. Best glued between the backing and core/belly. That means you cannot adjust the powerlam once glued in place. You have to choose wisely on your dimensions in advance. A slight bend in the handle is still perfectly possible when you design the bow accordingly. For your measurements, I would guess a powerlam of 1/8" thickness and 12" in length is sufficient. Make sure to create paperthin edges. The taper must really be perfect and even.
If you choose a contrasting wood species, such as ipé or walnut in your case, if will really pop out and look cool :)
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 12:45:19 pm »
Thanks guys for the info.  It confirms what I was thinking.  I'll ponder this some more.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw