Author Topic: Short flatbow?  (Read 6056 times)

Offline SiongSA

Short flatbow?
« on: February 05, 2011, 03:53:22 am »
Hey guys,
i'm looking for designs on a 59" mulberry stave i'm working on but all the dimensions i can find are for longbows 65" and up, can anyone come up with or does anyone know suitable flatbow dimensions for this length?

Sion

Offline RyanY

Re: Short flatbow?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:34:20 am »
I've never worked with mulberry but I'd have to guess if you're going with a 6-8" stiff handle then I'd go 2" wide to mid limb and taper to 3/8" nocks. If its a bend through the handle bow then 1.5" mid limb to mid limb and taper to 3/8" nocks. I think those should work.

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 04:48:41 am »
Plenty of bows have stiff handle sections which are (IMHO) unecessarilly long.
The bit of your hand actually supporting the bow is prob about 2", the arrow pass, say and inch, allow an inch of fade either side.
With a self bow the grip doesn't need to be too narrow or too deep so you don't need long extravagant fades.
There, I've got you down to a 5" stiff section already and saved a few inches :)
Here's one I made ealier with a short grip http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22365.msg302802.html#msg302802
If you look at some of Half Eye's bows, http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23854.0.html they are V short and bend through the handle.
He explains some of it in the link above.
Del
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 04:52:57 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:32:21 am »
I agree with Del, and would further that i don't think making limbs much wider than handles is all that useful.  My go-to design for any length has limbs equally as wide as the handle, and the handle will vary in width depending on the density of the wood I'm using.  If I'm using a dense wood like hickory or osage, the handle will probably be 2.6-3 cm wide.  If somewhat less dense, I might go to 3.2-3.6 cm wide.  I also don't understand the allure of a non-bending handle.  You got a nice long stick there, why not use the whole thing? 

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:36:51 am »
i never make bendy handle bows
i hate the feel of it when i draw

hows that for a reason to not make them bend  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 11:41:13 am »
GMC has done some short mulberry stave bows might do a search on them