Author Topic: Question on museum bow  (Read 1695 times)

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
Question on museum bow
« on: January 23, 2011, 03:37:16 pm »
Any body know anything about this bow. I like the looks of it and would like to learn more.
Jeff
http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/common/image_dup.cfm?catno=16%20%20%2F%201341&from_anthro=yes
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Traxx

Re: Question on museum bow
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:32:27 pm »
Bout all i can tell you from the pic,is its a reflex/deflex,commonly called a double curved bow.Common among many nations,from Canada{obviously}down through the plains of the us clear down to the tribes of the southwest.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 10:56:18 pm »
Whew, if that brace height was meant to be that low, I bet that was a wrist slapper.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:09:02 pm »
Northern plains bow... 43" long and a little over 1-1/2" wide at the handle.  Maybe Blackfoot.  Probably for war or hunting buffalo at close range.  The snake skin is rare.  If you can determine the type of snake, you will probably determine the place of origin.  Southern plains bows never had snake skin backing (bad mojo).

The handle wrap looks like it's holding some horse hair that sticks out on top and bottom of the belly side.  Very common to have horse hair decorations on "horse" bows.

The low brace height was common.  The string typically does not have a lot of tension at brace on these bows (so that it could be easily braced while riding).  The wrist slap is, therefore, not too bad.  It says the string is made of bark, which probably means that the string is not original.  Another clue that the string is not original is the fact that the top loop does not slip (like a lasso knot).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:19:27 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr