Author Topic: indirect percussion clovis  (Read 1766 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
indirect percussion clovis
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:47:01 am »
this was bifaced using a hammerstone. the remainder of work was done using two billets. one billet was held between the thigh with the biface held in hand or pressed into opposite thigh for fluting. not happy with the flutes. ther was about another 1.5 inches to this piece. the flute the is off centered was the first flute i removed. was happey with how it looked but i must of not hit hit straight and it ran side ways. the wider flute was a redo. had to remove almost an inch and a half off the end to reset the nipple . as well as remove the original flute. it ran a little sideways too and i tried to run a secondary flute that shattered and left fingernails everywhere. so after redressing the stone i ended up getting that wider flute.
definetly like doing the billet work. gives a lot of control in a small area to remove long flakes. without having to worry about reducing a lot of width to develop a striking platform. gonna use it on my next cumberland attempt.  anyway on to the pics.  ;D

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: indirect percussion clovis
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:19:41 am »
NICE.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:41:53 am »
I don't see anything wrong with that one Jamie. That second flute looks great! Too bad you had to lose that inch and half to get it though..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Lombard

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 11:59:08 am »
Dang it man, your mistakes look better than my best attempts.

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 01:32:32 pm »
That is one nice point,good job.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 12:32:03 pm »
thanks guys im having a blast exploring different abo methods of knapping. gonna start punching notches in some of this stuff using small stones as notching tools. seen it done just havent gotten around to trying it
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 01:07:39 pm »
Nice!  Like the punch idea.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr