Author Topic: What do you think , or what do you know?-( PICS)  (Read 5923 times)

Offline mamba

What do you think , or what do you know?-( PICS)
« on: May 12, 2007, 11:03:55 pm »
I have a left southpaw friend who likes a pistol grip and always wanted a static recurve.Im wondering if I should be tillering it like I am or setting flat where the throat of the grip will be getting the pressure at draw.The wood is hickory and im shooting for 52#@26".

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ray/NY

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: What do you think , or what do you know?-( PICS)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 11:15:49 pm »
Very unusual! Whats up with it?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 11:18:15 pm »
I always leave mine a big square block in the handle area.  This allows me to tiller just as you would any other bow, then I cut the pistol grip in.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mamba

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 12:01:38 am »
D-Tiller and Justin in my first pic the handle is setting on a piece of arrow shaft to keep the bow horizontal.I THINK this puts more pressure on the right(lower)limb,similar to heel pressure which with a pistol grip more pressure is felt near the arrow.I'm thinking I SHOULD remove the arrow pivot which will raize the right limb on my tiller tree but may be truer to the actual pressure exerted at full draw.What do you think?
Ray/NY

huntersim

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 01:01:39 pm »
Ray, heres my thought. The back of the bow should be parallel with the archer. The grip style dictates hand position, high low wrist, more or less palm.  If you set the bow on your tree with out the shim, once tillered you'll end up with a stiff upper limb (think I'm right). So the bow will want to tip out of your lower hand and towards your head. I might be backward on my thinking, still half asleep. But i would leave the shim.

Offline mamba

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 01:49:46 pm »
Thanks for the reply Matt. I'm still scratchin my head on this ???
Ray/NY

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 04:31:52 pm »
What Matt said.  That is why I always leave the handle square to the back.  You can carve the handle any shape you wish after, but the bow back should be the same in orientation to the shooter regardless of what the handle looks like or how it fits in your hand.  Leave it just like it is and tiller away.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:07:39 pm »
During final tillering, I'd make the bow pivot where the thing will be pivoting in the shooter's hand.  That will be at the deepest point in the pistol grip, with some amount of palm on a pistol grip.  You might be well enough off to do exactly how you're doing it now, but its also possible that the pivot point will be a bit higher.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline mamba

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 08:28:06 am »
Thanks all for the advise.
Ray/NY