Author Topic: 2011 winter harvest is underway  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
2011 winter harvest is underway
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:56:25 pm »
Yesterday I began my 2011 hill cane(and other shoots) harvest and I have continued this morning. From the looks of things so far it looks to be a fruitful(or at least caneful) harvest.  ;D  Yesterday I collected about 25 or so hill cane culms, about 15 silky dogwood shoots and two Pagoda dogwood(another native curnus understory tree) shoots. I've never tried pagoda dogwood but when I saw these two shoots I thought I'd give them a try. Today I got another 75 or so hill cane culms.
  It will be a month or so before I truely know how good the harvest will be. I will continue cutting as weather permits and should get quite a few hill cane culms from along my driveway. Once I clean up each shaft and disgard the immature ones, the ones with worm holes and other problems I'll sort them into small, medium and large diameter groups then eyeball matching sets of about 15 per bundle.
  I have made trades with folks for cane when I harvested it. Please send me a PM if we have discussed this. I will have some set aside for Art Butner(Artcher1) and Charlie Jefferson(stringstretcher)  and one or two others but after all obligations are fulfilled the rest will be upm for trade.
  Here is a peek at the initial harvest...

yesterdays harvest...

todays...

...and the silky dogwood
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

Re: 2011 winter harvest is underway
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 02:15:42 pm »
 My hands are hurting already Pat ;D! Looking forward to making up a few more of your hill cane shafts. That stuff has gotta be the best arrow material PERIOD..... Art

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:00:11 pm »
Art, you are always on the top of my hill cane list.   Did you ever try the small diameter cane I sent you last year? I usually leave that little stuff alone but if it will make good light weight arrows I will start collecting it for that. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 03:00:49 pm »
looks good pat!  im gonna get some dry stuff in a trade soon.  cant wait to try it.  looks pretty thick walled stuff.  whats the node spacing of the cane?  wish i had some cane in my drive way!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 03:10:51 pm »
I made up some 35-40# @ 27" length arrows out of that smaller stuff Pat. Perfect for my buddy Steve who shoots 40-45# bows. But he has enough arrows for now  ;) ;D.............Art

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:19:52 pm »
Aero, hill cane has thick walls, a small diameter hole in the center and the nodes vary from about 4" to 10" spacing. It makes very good, hard hitting, heavy arrows. Some of my arrows are 600gr to 700gr with 125gr points and stone points.
  Art, I'm glad to know the smaller stuff works well for the lighter bows. I will send Charlie some for that.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »
Pat , Put some away for me an let me know what ya need. I was really impressed with the strength of cane, shoot a deer this year that went  150 yds with arrow hitting lots of brush an cane did not break until deer fell over on it. I also seen Pappy win a Ironarrow competion with some cane ;D  Thanks Pat.  Bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 03:44:49 pm »
Bob, I'll probably be bringing some to the Classic. Remind me just before and I'll be sure to have a bundle for you.  ;)

Offline aero86

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 04:01:05 pm »
cane does make some heavy arrows.  at least the river cane i get does.  i havent measured them but the ones i just shipped were a bit heavier than the same bamboo that i have made.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.