Author Topic: Birch layout  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
Birch layout
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:34:11 pm »
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted anything. I've been trying to catch up with what everyone's building, and I must say there have been a lot of nice bows built lately. I wasn't too active in the ol' shop last year, but finally got a few new ones started late in the year. I've got three I'm finishing up now and will post pics in a couple weeks or so.
Now to my question... I am blessed to have an abundance of Osage to work with, but I am starting on a birch stave that I picked up a couple years ago at OJAM and this will actually be my second attempt at a white wood bow. (first was a cherry that fretted badly). I have this birch stave laid out as this, 1-3/4" at fades tapering to 1-1/2", 12" from the tips, tapering to 3/4" tips. I plan on backing this one with linen. Anyone have any experience with birch for a bow? If I screw this one up at least I can make a couple arras out of it. ;D Also, would rawhide be better to back it with?
Thanks for info...

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline NTProf

Re: Birch layout
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:38:23 pm »
I made a bow out of black birch. 67" long, 2 inches from fades to just past midlimb, then taper to 1/2" nocks. 52#@28. It shot and held up great. I don't shoot it anymore, because I keep making newer bows all the time.

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
Re: Birch layout
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:45:19 pm »
I forgot to say this bow will be 66" ntn and it is white birch.
Thanks for the reply NTprof, I was thinking of going 2" wide, but that seems soooo wide after making Osage bows for so long.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS